Windstar/Aerostar The beginning of the minivan for Ford.

ABS module?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 08:10 AM
Default ABS module?

2001 Ford Windstar SE

Got this thing for free a few years back, and parts are so cheap Ive been swapping them out one at a time.

Im currently trying to troubleshoot the ABS.

I took it to one mechanic and he said there were multiple codes, but would have to bring it back.

Took it to dealership, and they said the ABS module kept kicking their diagnostic computer out of the system.
He suspected a short in either the wire, or the module.

Is it time to fox and hound all the ABS wires? Or is there a more obvious solution?

Old 07-11-2018, 07:17 PM

What kind of symptoms are you getting?
Did any of them provide you the codes?
Can you get the code(s) from some places like Autozone that will scan them free of charge ?

Old 07-12-2018, 11:19 PM

Greetings,

My original symptom was the traction control engaging within the first few blocks of starting the car. It would engage in the same way it would on an icy or wet road.

Then the ABS light came on, and this behavior would cease and the traction control would be turned off.

I unplugged the wheel sensor so it would stop this all together and ABS would be off by default.

At this point I took it in, was not given codes, neither at the original mechanic, or the dealership.
When the dealership tried accessing the ABS module it booted out their computer, so they were unable to make any headway.

Old 07-13-2018, 08:22 AM

What did you do with the plugs where you disconnected the sensor ?

Did you cover or protect them in any way ?

There is more that you are not disclosing like how did you know which sensor to disconnect ?
It might have been cheaper to check the sensor and replace it than what seems to be happening now.

Do you have any kinds of test equipment to use , if so what ?
The most important thing we learn is to do our own checks and not go by what others have claimed to have done.
I believe we can assist you , depending on how far you want to go to pursue the cause of the problem. What do you think?

Old 07-13-2018, 09:09 AM

Just unplugged it and let it hang down, think I came across that suggestion on the internet, so I could drive without the ABS engaging.

Plugged it back in before taking to dealership, went back to same symptoms.

The only reason I even took it in is because my OBDII reader does not pull ABS codes.

Are these sensors rotating magnets? Should I check for DC voltage with multi-meter?
I dont believe the dealership would have tested for voltage directly, and was trying to diagnose the sensors etc via the control module.

Old 07-13-2018, 11:40 AM

If you wanted to disable the ABS , all you needed to do was pull the ABS fuse.
Some of those systems used a bias voltage and not being aware of that caused many problems just as disconnecting the plugs and allowing corrosion to get into the picture.

To get into the operation of speed sensors would be a good subject to read up on and would be too lengthy to get into here.

Old 07-13-2018, 11:50 AM

Right on, it hasn't been unplugged long, would likely use compressed air and some high flash electrical cleaner in there before reconnecting.

Had a chance to glance at the connectors just now, and it looks clean, may wrap it or something per your suggestion.

Are the original symptoms synonymous with a failed ABS sensor?

Old 07-13-2018, 02:24 PM

A good part of the time the sensor is the problem, but the sensor can be good and dirt or movement can get into the picture as well as wiring problems.

You never did tell us how you determined which sensor MIGHT be involved.
A capable scan tool or a graphing meter can practically pinpoint which wheel is involved and if nothing shows up , now we have to chase the wiring or ABS unit itself.

Old 07-13-2018, 02:31 PM

Oh I have no idea if a sensor is involved at all, I just read that unplugging the sensor would disable the system, as a temporary measure.

Per your suggestion Im going to download my fuse data and unplug the ABS fuse instead, that will save the plug from any harm.

Are most auto parts stores equipped to pull ABS, Airbag, and make specific codes?
I would go there before I bought my own OBD reader, but the one I have does basic code sets and some live data, not much more.

Old 07-13-2018, 02:53 PM

Its difficult to tell, since not all have qualified people to utilize the more sophisticated equipment. The worst they could say is they can't do it.

Quick Reply: ABS module?