Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners

Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/)
-   Windstar/Aerostar (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/windstar-aerostar-30/)
-   -   2002 Windstar brake problem, need help (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/windstar-aerostar-30/2002-windstar-brake-problem-need-help-8478/)

buster 06-06-2007 09:46 AM

2002 Windstar brake problem, need help

2002 Windstar brake problem. My ABS light and brake light on dash come on periodically while driving. Normally this problem will clear itself by shutting off the ignition and restarting. I bought a device to pull the codes and got the following codes: 0182, 07E5, & 0059. The manual that I got with this device only lists the 0182 code in it, but it doesn't seem to have anything to do with the brake system. Also, I am having trouble locating the ABS module/unit in the engine compartment to check for loose wiring. Can anyone tell me where this is located? Any and all insight here would be greatly appreciated.

Hayapower 06-06-2007 03:49 PM

RE: 2002 Windstar brake problem, need help

First off, check the level of the brake fluid reservoir.. If the fluid drops too low, the level sensor will turn on 'both' the ABS and Brake warning lamps..

buster 06-08-2007 07:29 AM

Well, I checked the brake fluid reservoir level which was good (half way between the min and max lines). Put some more fluid in reservoir to bring it up to the max line to see if that would make any difference. It didn't, brake lights still came back on. Any other possible solutions? I am open to any suggestions.

Use Common Sense 06-08-2007 10:39 AM

ABS unit I believe, should be located near/under the battery area. Also, is it the actual brake lights coming on or is it the light on the dash that says "BRAKE" (Yes, I know that lights don't talk LOL). Just a thought, It could be the park brake lever causing the issue. Make sure that the park brake sets and releases fully.

buster 06-08-2007 08:04 PM

Yes, it is the dash panel "BRAKE" light that is coming on along with the ABS light on the dash panel. I'll try to check out the parking brake lever. Also, I don't know if the two problems are related but the van has a very noticeable vibration that can be felt in the steering column once it gets up to speeds of around 55-60 mph. I had the front end aligned and the tires spin balanced and the rechecked to no avail. The mechanic I use even tried rotating the tires to see if the problem moved any, but it did not. The mechanic was stumped.

sportscars 06-12-2007 04:27 PM

I have the same problem on my wife's '01. I was told it could be one of the ABS sensors located at the wheel.

pioneerjrd 06-19-2007 04:03 PM

Hey Buster: My wife's 2003 Windstar just started doing the same thing. I also pulled off all four wheels and checked to make sure all the sensors weren't obstructed and calipers/wheel cylinders were okay. As for the ABS unit, I believe it is right behind the battery. My Haynes repair manual says that there are four things to check for before taking it in to a dealership.
1) Make sure the brake calipers and wheel cylinders are in good condition.
2) Check electrical connectors at the ABS controller.
3) Check the fuses.
4) Follow the wiring harnesses toeach speed sensors in each wheel for damage and they are secure.

I have checked all that in my wife's van and all looks good. I am wondering if I may have a bad sensor myself. My only question is how to tell which sensor is bad. They look very easy to remove and replace. I wonder if they are inexpensive as well. Let me know whatyou find out.

rwk 06-24-2007 07:12 PM

Check the front abs sensor wires. On my windstar, the plastic clip that holds the wire up, broke and the wire rubbed against the front drive axle wearing the rubber insulation away. When the wire got wet, I got a dash light. Solution - wrapped the wire with plastic tape and refasten wire to wheel well.

tomb1269 06-26-2007 12:07 PM

ABS wheel sensors can be checked with an ohm meter, the specs can be found in a repair manual. However, If you have a similar instance to what I describe you may have a bad BAS controller board. I would start the van no ABS, upon exceeding 8-10 mph ABS light would come on. Checked all wheel sensors, replaced a couple that where near the limits of specs. Still ABS would come on after 8-10 mph was exceeded on the speedo.

Nutdriver 07-06-2007 11:01 PM

The ABS Module is located on the frame under neath the drivers seat, as a result the module is exposed to all kinds of harsh elements. My 03 has the same problem and after checking all the wheel sensors myself I had a Ford garage scan the module for codes and it came up with tons! The mechanic says this is a chronic problem and the most likely cause is that the module has gotten moisture inside it and is creating all kinds of codes. We checked all conections (ok) and pulled off the sealed outer cover of the module and blew a light amounts of compressed air to see if there was any moisture inside the module to dry it out. The result was the same both lights on dash etc. Ford suggested I replace the module for many many $$! The module is made by Kelsey Hayes and there are companies that can repair or replace the module for alot cheaper than Ford's price. This is likely the same problem your 02 is having. Here is a link to one such place http://www.autoecu.com/.