Windstar/Aerostar The beginning of the minivan for Ford.

2003 Windstar Elecronic Gremlins! Help please...

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 01:04 PM
Default 2003 Windstar Elecronic Gremlins! Help please...

• Windstar 2003 3.8 automatic - 118,000 miles Van runs great - suddenly developed electronic problem which seems to have no answer. (Please note - before this happened there were not any issues with the van.)
  • Driving down the road - dash warning lights came on, gauges went to zero, a/c stopped but blower fan con't to run. Then in a few seconds everything returned to normal. Did this about 4 times in the last few miles home. Never lost power - con't to run fine. Pulled in drive way and see headlights on - switch is not on nor was it on - keys out - also blower fan running. Had to disconnect battery to turn items off. Checked battery & alternator voltage - both good. Replaced alternator (just to be safe - have had "bad" ones that checked good on other vans ). Did well for three starts and then same thing again. When battery is connected headlights and the fan blower motor(inside for the a/c) come on.
  • Thanks
  • When van is turned on dash warning lights(low fuel, check engine, ABS, brake, battery etc) come on, gauges don't operate (speedometer,tach, etc), sometimes doors lock some times not, power windows also work sometimes - sometimes not. Mechanic says certain fuses not getting power, then next time they did. Replaced FLM (GEM) no difference. He thinks it is in wiring - however is baffled. Any ideas to get rid of the gremlins?
  • Has anyone heard this type of thing happening because of using keypad and key instead of just one or the other? Heard that using both could cause a problem.
  • Does this sound like a SCR shorted closed? If so which relay?

Old 07-09-2012, 10:54 AM

Update: After checking many wires, changing fuse box (inside) and the FLM with no success, the mechanic started looking at the rear area. Found the jack was not properly attached and was rubbing on a wire to rear bake light and the RLM seem to be a bit loose. He re-positioned jack and secured it with zip ties, then re-positioned the RLM and snugged it up tight away from jack. The complete problem was gone. So he's not sure if it was a loose connection to the RLM or maybe the jack rubbing around on it that caused the problem, since he could not re-create the problem. So, he's having us drive it around for a week before saying it's fixed. So far so good! If you get gremlins start looking for loose connections or other items rubbing on relays. Hope this helps someone else.

Old 02-20-2018, 09:09 AM
Default Similar problem

Having some of the issues you had. Blower motor switched to low while driving, then came back on full when I turned the engine off. Also, when I turned the engine off my temperature and fuel gauges went past bottom (cold and empty) as though a reverse current was forcing the gauges past "zero".

Need to ask, what is the FLM and RLM? Are those the front and rear computer modules?

Old 02-21-2018, 04:09 PM

If I recall correctly the FLM AND RLM are Front Lighting Modules and Rear Lighting Modules. Which are related to the main computer and operate a bunch of stuff. Don't have my repair book handy to double check. I'd suggest checking that they are snug and see if that helps. The one in back was right where the jack attaches - not the best design!

Any way we continue to have small problems off and on and now seriously believe it is in the ignition switch. Our mechanic really thinks we shouldn't mess with it so when things like the fan running in off position, head lights on when switch is off we turn off the engine and start up again usually it clears up. On occasion we've jiggled the switch and the problem cleared up without turn off and restarting - that is why we believe the ignition switch could be involved.

Sorry couldn't be more helpful. Even with the little gremlins we still love our Windstar! Good luck finding your solution.

Old 02-22-2018, 06:10 AM

That must be some difference between your 2003 and my 2001. The FSM makes no mention of lighting modules, just front and rear electronic modules. They must have changed things up a bit between the years.

Anyway, I think I've solved my problem: water in the blower motor relay. Turns out I have a small leak around my windshield which lets water make its way down to the interior fuse box (yikes!). I've had to do a temporary repair as it's below freezing here and I don't have a garage. It'll just have to do until spring.

Thanks for your feedback!