Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners

Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/)
-   Windstar/Aerostar (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/windstar-aerostar-30/)
-   -   93 Ford Aerostar...What's wrong? (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/windstar-aerostar-30/93-ford-aerostar-whats-wrong-1542/)

jjessen 08-18-2005 01:38 PM

93 Ford Aerostar...What's wrong?

I have a 1993 Ford Aerostar, 3.0L, 2 wd. I have not had any problems with it until a few weeks ago. I started it, and then it died right away. I thought it was a little strange, but I started it again, gave it a little gas, and it was fine. Drove fine. Got to where I was going. Left about 10 minutes later, same problem. During that next week (I drive 25 miles one way to work), it got to the point where it didn't wanted to stall after start and would have to constantly give it gas to keep it running. As soon as I would put it into reverse or drive, it would stall. It would stall in stop and go traffic. It would stall stopped at a light. Drove fine as long as I didn't have to stop or At that point, the check engine light never came on. Boyfriend thought it was spark plugs and distributor cap so those were replaced. Same thing was happening, but getting worse. I would basically have to drive with one foot on the gas pedal and one on the brake on stopping so vehicle didn't stall. When started (if I can keep it started), it will initially start out with the idle just fine. But after the first 5 seconds or so, the idle drops and all the gauges drop with it (oil & voltage). Was also running very rich and using a lot of gas. Boyfriend thought it was the O2 sensor, so he replaced that yesterday. This morning, it started just fine and idled OK. Drove it to the gas station, it restarted fine. Drove it about 5 miles and it stalled at a stop light. Restarted fine, but as driving on the highway, the check engine light came on, then went out, then came on, then went out, then went on and stayed on. What are some possible things that could be wrong. I suggested to my BF that he check the IAC valve and fuel pressure regulator, MAP or MAF sensors, but he just told me that I should stay out of it because I'm a girl and I don't know anything about cars. I was going to go buy an OBD-I code reader from Walmart, but he told me that it wouldn't be worth it. I plan on stopping at Autozone on the way home from work today (if it makes it) to see if they can read the codes for free. Any suggestions on what could possibly be wrong?[&:]

cctxfish 08-18-2005 04:07 PM

RE: 93 Ford Aerostar...What's wrong?

New boyfriend:D

Just joking, I think you got it, IAC. Very easy to give this a try. Remove it and clean it with some carb cleaner.

Here:
http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBr...3d8014aa59.jsp

good luck

Ramrod48 08-19-2005 12:44 PM

from the way he was replacing things I thought he worked at autozone :eek:

cctxfish 08-19-2005 05:36 PM

Most own stock in it:D

Sabretooth 09-07-2005 02:28 AM

Come to think of it...maybe I should buy stock in it...the way people pass the name off on here...I'd be a millionaire...hehehe...anyways, I'd have to agree with cctxfish...check the IAC

Starkenburger 03-08-2019 03:13 PM

1997 Ford Aerostar

Originally Posted by jjessen (Post 4265)
I have a 1993 Ford Aerostar, 3.0L, 2 wd. I have not had any problems with it until a few weeks ago. I started it, and then it died right away. I thought it was a little strange, but I started it again, gave it a little gas, and it was fine. Drove fine. Got to where I was going. Left about 10 minutes later, same problem. During that next week (I drive 25 miles one way to work), it got to the point where it didn't wanted to stall after start and would have to constantly give it gas to keep it running. As soon as I would put it into reverse or drive, it would stall. It would stall in stop and go traffic. It would stall stopped at a light. Drove fine as long as I didn't have to stop or At that point, the check engine light never came on. Boyfriend thought it was spark plugs and distributor cap so those were replaced. Same thing was happening, but getting worse. I would basically have to drive with one foot on the gas pedal and one on the brake on stopping so vehicle didn't stall. When started (if I can keep it started), it will initially start out with the idle just fine. But after the first 5 seconds or so, the idle drops and all the gauges drop with it (oil & voltage). Was also running very rich and using a lot of gas. Boyfriend thought it was the O2 sensor, so he replaced that yesterday. This morning, it started just fine and idled OK. Drove it to the gas station, it restarted fine. Drove it about 5 miles and it stalled at a stop light. Restarted fine, but as driving on the highway, the check engine light came on, then went out, then came on, then went out, then went on and stayed on. What are some possible things that could be wrong. I suggested to my BF that he check the IAC valve and fuel pressure regulator, MAP or MAF sensors, but he just told me that I should stay out of it because I'm a girl and I don't know anything about cars. I was going to go buy an OBD-I code reader from Walmart, but he told me that it wouldn't be worth it. I plan on stopping at Autozone on the way home from work today (if it makes it) to see if they can read the codes for free. Any suggestions on what could possibly be wrong?[&:]

Hi jjessen I am having a similar problem with my van currently.Did you eventually find what was causing the stalling. I am leaning towards either cleaning the IAC valve or replacing it.
Please let me know what finally worked. I know sometime you fix and change so many different things that you don't know what solved the problem in the end.