Windstar/Aerostar The beginning of the minivan for Ford.

Windstar HELP!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 08:51 PM
Default Windstar HELP!!!!!

Ok, I need some serious help with my van. I have a 2002 Windstar LX. A couple months ago the problems started so we took the van off the road but then i never had time to try and fix it. We need the van for the winter so we started driving it again but i desperatly need to fix it.
Heres the list of problems, which seems to be growing rapidly.

I got in one day and as im drivng i noticed i had no speedometer, no odometer, my yellow abs light is on steady, the red brake warning light is on steady, od off light starts blinking when i hit about 20 kmh, and now the heat works as long as i am moving but if i stop for a red light the heat kicks out till i begin moving again.

I took the van to ford a couple weeks ago to have a recall performed and they did a free diagnostics for me. When i discribed the issues they seemed lost and said it sounded like a pcm issue. So i got a pcm from a local wrecker.... didnt work. The ford guys also informed me that my abs module is shot which runs $600 at the dealership. And someone told me that all my issues could just be an abs wheel sensor.
Ford pulled got the following codes from the van -
U1262
C1779
B1262
P0316
P0500
P1502
U1039

I now know what all these codes mean. But i dont know where to start to fix them. Normally i can fix most stuff myself but this thing is realllllly kicking my butt.

Has anyone else had similar issues with these vans? If so how did you fix it and if your gotit fixed by someone else what did it cost???
I need this thing fixed but i dont want to sink a ton of money into it either.

The van had 170 000 kms almost to the nose when the odo kicked out. now it just shows a bunch of lines.

Any advice would be a HUGE help. Thanks a lot

Old 11-29-2010, 07:28 AM

I would start with replacing the speed sensor in the tranny. Most of the codes listed are SPEED SENSOR related. Also, how does the Ford dealership lknow that your ABS module is bad? A bad ABS sensor should only set the ABS light and set an ABS code. You have no ABS codes listed, just VEHICLE SPEED codes.

Old 03-05-2011, 11:58 AM

Hi,
So I finally gave in and I got a new abs module put in, sure enough it fixed the speedo, odo, abs light, parkibng brake light, and od light. But now im having an issue where most morning when I start up the van no accessories work. I have no fans, no radio, no windows, no wipers etc. Generally they kick in after I drive for a while, but when drivng the guages will momentarily start dancing all over the place, ALL OF THEM, but it only does all this when the engine is cold. After it warms up and I stop it and start it again then all issues disappear. Abd if I unhook the battery at night when I hook it back up in the morning all accesories work but i still have the dfancing gauges for a couple minutes down the road. Any ideas?