Windstar/Aerostar The beginning of the minivan for Ford.

a problem with the gauges bouncing around

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 05:11 AM
Default a problem with the gauges bouncing around

Well I fixed the cold solder joint on the ribbon connector on the pc board in the instrument cluster. The instruments don't bounce around anymore. But I still have a problem. the gas gauge is pegged like I had just topped off the tank. There is just a bit under a 1/2 tank of gas left, the RPM is reading a bit under 4,000 RPM when the van is parked with the motor running, The speedometer is sitting at about 35mph when the van is parked with the motor running and the temperature gauge is pegged at boiling but the van isn't boiling over. I took a picture of the instrument cluster while sitting in my parking space tonight. I must have messed something up. The RPM and speed respond like they should when the van starts moving.

Steve

Attached Thumbnails a problem with the gauges bouncing around-instrument-cluster2.jpg  

Last edited by reble; 08-17-2017 at 03:34 AM.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:15 PM

I found part of the problem. looking at the back of the instrument cluster, top pc board right side were the long ribbon cable is, last pin on the bottom that had the cold solder joint. I used a bit to much heat and separated the pin from the pc board. Can I swap boards from the other instrument cluster that I have or do I need to repair this one. I would need a wiring diagram of the instrument cluster before I could make a bridge so I know were that foil goes to.

Steve

Old 08-23-2017, 12:38 PM

Well I have done everything that I can do. All the gauges are now working except for the gas gauge. It still pegs as if the tank has been just topped off. I know from the amount of driving that I have done since the tank was filled on Aug 3rd that I have about 1/4th of a tank left. I fixed the foil break by making a solder bridge with a small peace of solid copper wire. I took the mechanical part of the gauges out of the other cluster and swapped all 4 of them out That fixed the RPM, speed and temperature gauges There is a place in West Richland (about a 25 minute drive) called "Cluster Fix". I guess That I am going to have to take it in and have them look at it.

Steve

Old 08-25-2017, 09:55 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the update.

Old 08-25-2017, 10:43 PM

I think I found the problem with the gas gauge An other person on an other Windstar forum sent me the following in the quotes
Originally Posted by tomj76
You might have a problem with the anti-slosh module, which is found in the instrument cluster. A few months ago my gas gauge was reading too high (I ran it completely out of gas). I found that the diode in the circuit was faulty, replaced it and it works fine now.
If this doesn't fix the gas gauge I have a book on order. It is the complete wiring diagram for a 2000 Windstar, including the diagram for the cluster. And I am just going to mount a simple generic electric gas gauge on the dash panel and cut the line from the sending unit and connect it to the new simple generic gas gauge. I am tired of pulling the dash apart, trying this, that or the other thing and getting a BIG FAT NOTHING?

QUOTE=Hayapower;103666]Thanks for the update.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by reble; 08-25-2017 at 10:50 PM.
Old 08-25-2017, 11:34 PM

I dbl posted last post so I del the exture post.

Last edited by reble; 08-25-2017 at 11:40 PM.
Old 09-09-2017, 04:37 AM

An update on the fuel gauge problem. The low fuel light came on today at the same time the computer display in the dash panel flashed "LOW FUEL" and the computer says, before I put in more gas, that I had "27 more miles to empty tank". Even though the fuel gauge still reads full. From what I have been reading online about this magnetic analog fuel gauges. I think a ground return line is open or corrosion.

Steve

Old 09-09-2017, 06:17 AM

Steve and Tom,
Thanks for sharing the info with us. For those of us that are willing to accept the challenge to get into some electronic repair info like this is great. Of course this is not for everyone, but just like anything we "Repair" , the satisfaction is worth it ,,when it works !! Developing some electronic background will become more and more essential as newer vehicles are released. Just as when you replaced a defective spark plug and the engine purrs again, so it is when you make a small electronic repair and everything works well again, nice work ! Thanks.

Old 09-09-2017, 10:12 PM

Up date. the cluster is giving me more problems. I wish that I could afford to order a new cluster from Ford and stick it in. That would solve everything. Now the silly beast won't start. The starter motor won't even turn over. Everything else lights up, electric locks work, electric sliding doors will open and close on power, the car radio works also.

I manage to get the starter motor working by cutting the ground side wire from the starter relay to the cluster and route that line directly to ground. I found the right wire to cut because I got the wiring diagram book from Ebay. But the motor still won't start. Some how the cluster is stopping the power from getting to the distributor > spark plugs. I have not verified it with a VOM yet. But I suspect the problem is in the cluster also. I just have not figured out how to bypass the cluster on this yet. I wish there was a detailed (component level) wiring diagram for this cluster that I have. It would make it easier to fix the gas gauge problem. I could ether fix the problem ground or bypass that ground and fix it that way. Anyone have any ideas.

Last edited by reble; 09-09-2017 at 10:39 PM.
Old 09-10-2017, 06:59 PM

Can someone please tell me were is the ignition coil is in this Windstar? I got the VOM out and the ignition switch is fine. All the voltages on the ignition switch are within proper limits and the right places.

A PS I finely found a Youtube video as to how to change out the ignition coil. It is going be a bear to get at, but it has to be done.

Last edited by reble; 09-10-2017 at 07:13 PM.

Quick Reply: a problem with the gauges bouncing around