Ford Crown Victoria The crown victoria, the choice of police forces all over the United States due to its size and available V8 engine

Cooling Capacity??

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 09:58 PM

Then if there's only one drain on each side, I think I'll run the front end up on the ramps and scoot under there to take a look. Probbaly be my luck that they're frozen solid.

Originally I was born and raised in a small town called Millville which is about 40 miles due west of Atlantic City.

Old 04-08-2014, 03:23 AM

Have never been there, but did make some trips to Egg Harbor. I'm sure it has changed a lot since I passed through there.

I believe they used the std 1/8 pipe plugs on the blocks. Hope you don't have too much problem removing them.

Last edited by hanky; 04-08-2014 at 03:26 AM.
Old 05-31-2014, 08:13 PM

Hanky... Last couple weeks in May, finally got back to this cooling problem. Thought I'd let you know how it went.

Ran cleaning/flushing solution in engine for a few days to clean everything thoroughly. Made a jig to pressurize the block via the thermo housing and blew all the coolant out of the block via the bottom hose. Installed new thermostat (180 degree) and gasket, then commenced to fill with coolant = discovered water pump is leaking.

To remove water pump, found that just about everything on the front of the engine had to be removed (sigh). Both drive belts were cracked too. Managed to sit P/S pump up on the drivers side fender apron. Getting dark, called it a night.

Following morning... noticed big oil stain on concrete under engine, drivers side. Found that shaft seal had failed on power steering pump, fluid everywhere! (sigh again).

Parts were in... Installed new water pump and power steering pump, drive belts, new hoses where needed, added P/S fluid and filled radiator and block with coolant. No parts left over and all seems well in Fordville. Drove it about town for a few days, runs quieter, cooler, and no leaks.

Coming soon... My adventures with the disappearing transmision fluid (New Topic). Many thanks for your help with my never ending problems my friend.

Old 06-01-2014, 06:32 AM

You're doin one heck of a job. Like they say, you can't keep a good man down.
If you are losing trans fluid, which you are checking with the engine running I presume, and there appear to be no visible leaks it would be a shame if after you flushed the entire cooling system the trans cooler section in the radiator had a leak. Trans pressure is higher than cooling system pressure so it is possible trans fluid could be getting into the radiator. You would usually notice the oil layer in the recovery bottle for the coolant. Let's hope you don't have to go that route. Thanks for keeping us updated.