Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

1993 e350 engine runs cold

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 03:11 PM

OK back at it. So not that anyone ever will have this problem again like me, but I will post this just in case.

FLOW PROBLEM: COOLANT BYPASSING THE THERMOSTAT, IE. TOO MUCH SPACE IN THE THERMOSTAT HOUSING AND THE INTAKE MANIFOLD.

So I did some more testing by clamping off the heater hose coming from the engine (upside?), nothing changed. I was going over it with my cousin and we determined that we could stop flow completely by disconnecting the fan belt with no adverse action. So I did this:

1. 2 minutes the gauge broke the cold bar
2. 3 minutes the gauge broke the lowest normal bar
3. 6 minutes the gauge broke the "N" of normal
4. 7 minutes the gauge broke the "O" of normal
5. 8 minutes the gauge broke the "R" of normal
6. 10 minutest the gauge broke the middle mark.

I was going to go until the thermostat opened, but I was fairly certain it would, but would have little effect in cooling since there was no flow at all except fluid dynamics from heat exchanging.

No, heat. Completely separate problem. I shut it down at a little past half and watched the engine heat rise only slightly afterwards. I checked the heater hoses and sure enough the upside was hot and the intake side was cool. Kind of a problem since this is a distributed dual heater core. crossing my fingers that I can flush this system.

So long story short. My engine has a problem where the thermostat is being bypassed.

I had a problem when I originally went to change the thermostat where the bolt broke off, had to be extracted and the intake side was slightly damaged enough to cause a leak. I fixed this with a heavy thick gasket that I made and then the second time with permatex. So what I am now seeing is a gap between the thermostat/housing/intake surface. I am going to attempt to fix this with filling the gap between the thermostat. I will have to look at it a bit more closely to see how I can remedy this. Would be nice if I could use a gasket like in the expeditions, or new 4.6/5.4.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I will continue to post till this is completed, but like I said, I would be surprised it this becomes a problem for anyone else in the future. Kind of a problem I made. :-)