Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

cruise control curiosity

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 01:26 AM
Default cruise control curiosity

I just bought a 1993 E-350. The cruise control doesn't work and I am trying to figure why. I've probed the switches on the steering wheel and the throttle cable. They seem fine. I am suspecting the cruise control module may not be working, though I not ready yet to fork the money and swap parts just to find out. However, I did notice something weird that may be related (don't know how though); when I step on the brake both the front and rear right yellow running lights turn on. The go off when I release the pedal. Does anybody know if these two are related and if so what they mean? Thank you. Fordeto

Old 04-01-2014, 03:33 AM

Since the right rear stop and signal use the same bulb , check the right signal to confirm problem there and either replace the rear bulb or repair the bad ground for the right rear stop & tail light light.

Old 04-02-2014, 03:45 AM

hi hanky,
I think I didn't explain my situation very well. The rear lights in this van have (from top to bottom): one yellow light (turn signal), a two-mode red light (a red running light that gets even brighter when I apply the brake pedal) and a white backing up light. So my problem is that, let's say I have the running lights on, when I apply the brake the red light gets brighter (as it is supposed to when one applies the brake) but the yellow light turns on as well (right bank front and rear). Even the right blinking light indicator in the instrument cluster turns on when I apply the brake.
I checked to see what happened if I had the right blinker on and I applied the brake. I can hear the blinker but the rear yellow light becomes solid.

I don't know if the previous owner messed with the wiring or if this is the cruise control malfunctioning. I am somewhat lost. Thanks, fordeto

Old 04-02-2014, 09:22 PM

I believe the cruise control isn't working due to the problem with the light system.
One of the stop lights has a ground problem and it is using the signal light system for a ground. Suggest you start with the right rear light.Something doesn't seem right there.
It could be the light socket or the ground wire for that particular light. The socket may look OK , but be separated internally.

Old 04-03-2014, 10:41 PM

thank you Hanky!

I did look at the rear right light. The lights and sockets were okay BUT I saw there was a green wire attached to the turn signal wiring and going to the hitch outlet that upon disconnecting it solved the problem. As a matter of fact, I checked the hitch wiring hooking up my trailer to see what I was sacrificing by disconnecting the wire and lo and behold, it all seemed fine! My only conclusion at this point is that the previous owner didn't wire things right. However, I did take the van for a spin to check the Cruise Control and nothing, it's still not working. I opened the CC module box, checked the motor, lubricated the cogs, axles and everything in there but, nothing. I am afraid the CC module must be dead.

Old 04-04-2014, 05:28 AM

Did you get a chance to look at the throttle linkage to make sure everything is connected there? Sometimes the CC linkage separates from the throttle linkage either with help, or by itself. Did you check all the fuses?
We don't know at this point if the additional wire at the rear was placed there to correct a ground problem or was it to provide a signal light for a trailer. Will you be pulling a trailer with the van?
There are sliding contacts under the steering wheel for the controls. Need to determine if power is available to the switch and if the switch is sending the signal to the module. Easiest to check at the module.

Old 01-04-2015, 02:55 PM
Default 1995 recall

Ford sent me a recall notice
They said park it outside because of possible fire
It purrs when I set the cruise on and it,s a 95 e150 with 180009 miles it's not going back so they can screw it up. It's always outside anyway

Old 02-10-2015, 05:35 PM

I just posted a thread about how Ford screwed up my cruise control on my 1995 E350 r v, it worked fine until they installed the jumper fuse harness under a recall and only worked for a little while after they recalled the first harness and replaced it with another one.