Ford Escape The newest smaller SUV from Ford allows the buyer to have the use of an SUV without the hunger for fuel that so many SUVs display.

'07 Escape Hybrid - Multiple Issues need some expert advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 03:03 PM
Default '07 Escape Hybrid - Multiple Issues need some expert advice

Greetings all,

I'm new here, but I've been an active forum contributor to other Ford vehicles I own (primarily a '69 Mustang) however I have a few issues with a relatively new vehicle in my stable. Warning, this is a long post...if you don't have the time please don't read, it takes awhile to explain it all.

I have a 2007 Escape Hybrid, that has been giving me trouble two weeks ago when I broke down twice, while on the road in NJ. I live in NY, so this was a real pain. I was driving along after traveling through heavy NYC traffic (mostly side streets and major avenues, due to a GPS setting error (chose shortest distance vs fastest route) so I got the scenic but slow (crawling thru the south Bronx (north east Bronx was fine, and Manhattan (surprisingly good for a Sunday) route to the Lincoln tunnel) and then into Jersey City where the trouble began, I was traveling south on JF Kennedy Blvd in the left lane (four lane major route thru these communities) when all of a sudden the Escape turned off....stopped running. I was like what happened? The LCD display had a message come on that said 'Stop Safely Now' (which isn't what this vehicle allows me to do, just konked out in the left lane). I attempted to restart but I think I may not have shifted back into Park immediately which is another issue. It would not restart. There were several warning lights on the dash that were lit up. The Red Anti-Theft light (lower left) was flashing on and off, there was a red triangle warning light lit up on the upper right corner, and just below that a engine emission light was light, and below that a check oil light was on. I was like what just happened? Everything was running fine and BAM...nothing. I checked the oil level right away, and it was fine. I had been visiting my folks and they live approx. 50 miles from my place which is further north outside of the city/surrounding suburbs, and drove down earlier that morning with no issues at all and have been doing this for last few weeks helping out my Dad who's had a hip replaced. Anyway...back to the trouble.

I contacted my insurance tow service, and they put me in contact w/ a lock smith (who had his technician call be back). I was reading the owner's manual and it said something that the Ford Ignition Key has a security code/feature that may get messed up if something metal touches it. I had a small pocket knife on my Escape key chain with the electronic remote on it and the ignition/door key but one of the plastic sides fell off and I thought it may have grounded out or shorted the Ford key. I took all that off the key chain and tried it again...nothing. Some good Samaritan saw I was stuck and offered to help me push the Escape to the side of the road, people were honking away...trying to make a left but I was stuck at the light not going anywhere. We pushed to a bus stop area closest place I could find.

By the way, after the Escape was pushed to the side of the road, everything locked up, ignition switch, steering wheel, nothing would turn or start. I sat there discussing it w/ my insurance tow company and the lock smith company rep. The technician for the lock smith called me back and said he could cut another security key for me, but he asked what happened and what lit up on my dash. After I explained it all, he said it sounded more like a computer issue and that I should take it to Ford or call Ford's Roadside assistance. I did call, but Ford Roadside was no help, since it was after 5pm on Sunday last weekend in Aug when this occurred. They did try to get me help in California with some Dealers there but their service centers are closed on Sundays...so wasn't any help. I had to get this thing to a Ford Dealer locally (but they're all closed). I went to get a bite to eat and heed the call of nature after sitting in the car for hours...when I returned I was weighing my options and said let me try starting it again, and it started up. I was stunned. Well I continued on my way to a NJ Fuel station to fill up some gas cans I have for my Mustang (premium in NJ was like $3.41 a gallon vs over $4.00 a gallon by my place in NY), and I do this from time to time when I'm in the area and on the return trip I head over to NJ to fill up before heading back north. So I filled up the Escape with regular and my cans with super and off I went...back up Rt 440...right past the Ford Dealer (ironically) but I thought I could make it back...mistake. Just after I past the dealer, and was heading under an overpass on a two lane connecting roadway to major routes (highways, etc.) the Escape completely ground to a halt again. Same issue, same warning lights appeared and it would not start. I had to call my tow service again, but they told me to call 911 since I was blocking traffic, and everyone has to honk as they go around and the police would be able to get help faster and stop/redirect traffic. The police show up and were nice enough to assist me with pushing the Escape into a local business parking lot about 1/4 block away. I contacted my tow service and they said they were trying to locate a local tow operator but none were available due to other calls. I sat there and waited. I attempted to restart the Escape a few times, once it started but soon stopped again, not giving me confidence that it would make it that far. After an hour or so, a tow truck showed up, and the driver was asking about where I wanted to take the Escape I told him the Ford Dealer but he said they didn't have an over night drop lot, it was locked, and there wasn't enough room to leave it at the main dealership area, so...we needed another location. My insurance tow service located a Pep Boys repair shop that had overnight dropbox service, where we decided to take the Escape that night. However, the tow truck driver said he needed a flat bed for my AWD Escape and had to switch trucks. In the mean time I was able to restart the Escape, and kept it running, and ironically I drove it onto the flat bed, but I was not confident I would get that far driving on my own having the same thing happen again in a worse location (less services). Well I left my Escape at Pep Boys and had a long all night trip on NJ Path trains and NYC subways to get back close to my folks place, and then cab it the rest of the way and didn't get in til 5am...which really sucked but that is another story.

So...that's the background to my problem...since that time, Pep Boys by the way wasn't able to repair this trouble and said I needed to tow it to the Dealer which I had them do later the next day. However Ford was unable to repair or even look at my Escape until after Labor Day...so for a week it sat. However, on Friday I called the Dealer to see if anything was done, and they said a technician had brought it in to the shop and was running diagnostics but no results were in...they'd have them on Tues. after the long weekend. I called on Tues, but couldn't get anyone at the Dealer...no on returns calls there. I called back Wed...and after several attempt go a customer service person to tell me what is going on with my 2007 Escape Hybrid. She told me that the technician found a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB-09-18-6) that requires him to change out a electrical service harness (Part 7M62-14A303-B ($26 on Ford parts.com) which is in the center console (believe it is the 110V outlet) and the dealer wants almost $600 to change/repair this, before he can continue diagnosing my trouble w/ the warning lights/stalling issue (which this may be one of several TSB I found from Motorcraftservice.com that relate to this vehicle).

In addition she mentioned that he said I needed an oil fill tube replaced and quoted me $233.48 to change a $31 item on Ford Parts.com ($18 on Ebay) (which I looked up) and my service manual its one bolt that holds this in and a new O-ring, a blind mechanic could change a oil dipstick filler tube...which I may do myself if I can get the parts. Is it worth having this repair performed by Ford service, for a $26 harness which may or may not repair the issue of stalling out while driving. Has anyone had this harness replaced by Ford or done it themselves?

I have found several other TSBs and even a recall notice which no one ever mentioned to me, but after looking around on Motorcraftservice.com I found it using my VIN and found them. The safety recall is 14S19 states Demonstation / Delivery Hold: certain 2005-2008 Escape & Mariner Hybrid vehicles - Motor Electronics Coolant Pump replacement. Has anyone had this recall serviced or changed out this coolant pump (not sure which pump they're referring to? is this a water pump?)

TSB 09-19-12 deals with the triangular warning light/stop safely msg, reprograming the PCM is needed, and the Electronic Throttle Body may need to be replaced. An earlier TSB 09-8-9 (again relating to the triangle warning light/stop safely now msg that leads to sudden RPM loss and no start situation, may be due to clean the throttle body (if diagnostics indicate it needs to be changed) which is sure a lot cheaper than replacement. BTW This Escape has only 29,000+/- miles on it.

Can anyone recommend the best way to have this Escape Hybrid repaired? Is this something I could do myself (I'm a decent mechanic but don't really know much about the computer troubleshooting, and don't own any handheld readers, since I prefer the simple Mustangs of yesteryear) or should I bite the bullet and let Ford Service do this harness change...but the cost is astronomical (I'm a small business owners who's had several bad years in a row...hurting for funds) for such a cheap part that may not even correct this issue but it may...had to say at this point. I hope someone can give me some good advice...thank you for taking the time to read through my issue.

Yukon Vic

Old 11-18-2014, 10:29 PM