Ford Escape The newest smaller SUV from Ford allows the buyer to have the use of an SUV without the hunger for fuel that so many SUVs display.

2009 3.0L v6 Escape Electrical/Alternator Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 07:22 PM
Default 2009 3.0L v6 Escape Electrical/Alternator Problem

I have a 09 Escape Limited with the 3.0L v6... While driving the Battery Light would turn on and then go off and then a few more miles down the road it would turn on for a few minutes and then go off. I checked the voltage while running and it read 13.8v and was reading 13.5 when turned off. did some research and found out that the Alt has to be generating 14.5v or the battery light will come on. I had the Battery and Alt checked out (in Car) and was told that the voltage regulator was going and that it needed replaced (which is in the Alt). I replaced the Alt with a reconditioned on from Autozone and the Battery light would come on after 2 minutes of the engine running and would stay on, this time. I drove the car for 2 weeks starting and stopping about 25 times a day and 150 to 200 miles a day, with no starting or running problems. Stopped back at Autozone and had them check the system again and they ordered me another Refurb Alt. After installing the 2nd refurb Alt the car is still showing a lighted battery display and it does not turn off. The battery is less than a year old and reads good under load and CCA. I have read somewhere that there are problems with these refurbished Alternators and it has taken some 4 different Alts to find one that worked. May just have to go through Ford and get a NEW Alt. Any ideas??? I have checked for bare wires and checked the ground wire and plug connections and all looks good.

Old 10-19-2014, 06:38 AM

Right about now the horse is out of the stable and it's too late to close the door. I am aware when you need to replace something like an alternator you want to get it fast and get it done. Here is the jab, aftermarket rebuilt stuff sometimes works and most of the time it doesn't. Whenever possible, either have a local alternator rebuilder rebuild your original alternator or get a factory reman unit from Ford. Then you usually only do the job once.