Ford Escape The newest smaller SUV from Ford allows the buyer to have the use of an SUV without the hunger for fuel that so many SUVs display.

2013 Ford Escape and Fusion Recalled Over 1.6-liter EcoBoost Engine Fire Risk

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 09:48 AM

FORD announced Dec 11 that it has determined the problem and has worked up a fix for the engine fires that have resulted in recalls for 2013 Ford Escape and Fusion models equipped with the 1.6-liter EcoBoost engine. Ford says the fires are being caused by an issue with the cooling system software that fails to properly manage engine temperatures during "unique overheating conditions," which are allowing the engines to get hot enough to start a fire while running. This is the third explanation for the engine fires with faulty fuel lines being the culprit back in July and leaking coolant in September – both of these could potentially be caused by extreme engine overheating.

To prevent the overheating, Ford will be updating the software for the cooling system, but until then, the automaker says that owners of affected vehicles should not drive their vehicles and contact the dealer to arrange alternative transportation. According to Automotive News, this means that 73,320 owners are still in rental cars costing Ford up to $55 per day.

Old 12-11-2012, 11:58 AM

Ford needs to stop the blame game, and get this issue resolved. I'm gettin' a little tired of this recall non sense, and I want my Escape back. FORD! GET IT FIXED! OR GIVE ME A NEW ESCAPE WITH A 2.0..... This is freakin' rediculous......

Old 12-11-2012, 06:48 PM

Just heard from a local dealer that apparently it's a software problem. The computer regulates the temperature of the engine incorrectly which causes the coolant to overheat. The coolant happens to be combustible so - you can figure it out from there. So you would think/hope that the experts at Ford could determine how to instruct the computer to stay at the right temperature. I'm hoping to have my Escape back before Christmas! I'm hoping there IS a Santa Claus!

Old 12-12-2012, 10:17 AM

Spoke to my dealer yesterday. I asked him if he had an updates on the fusion recall now that Ford has found the problem. His response? "You should believe what you hear from the internet until we hear something first" I got a little pissed with him and said it wasn't the internet man it was a question looking for an update from the PRESS RELEASE FORD ISSUED TODAY. I think these dealers are getting just as pissed about the issue as we are.

Old 12-12-2012, 10:59 AM

Yes, I am sure that the dealers are not happy since, it will ultimately impact their sales and, they have to field the calls. The latest I heard was that the fix would be rolled out early next week. So, I wouldn't expect to see anything happen until midweek the 17th - 21st.

Old 12-13-2012, 05:09 AM

My service guy called yesterday to say the software fix is expected next week and I should have my Escape back before Christmas. Here's hoping!

Old 12-13-2012, 09:43 AM

That would be nice since, it is a pain strapping two surfboards to a Ford Focus. Can't complain about the gas mileage though 35-40 mpg.

Old 12-15-2012, 07:18 PM

The service guy called and the software fix is in. They're going to start upgrading the vehicles on Monday. Don't know when mine will be done but we're getting closer.

Old 12-16-2012, 10:54 PM

Thanks for the update. I have not heard anything yet. Will let everyone know once the software is updated and, I get my care back.

Old 12-18-2012, 12:48 PM

The dealer had my car ready at 9:00 AM on Monday. Picked it up and we are back on the road. I am going to miss the mileage I was getting with the rental Focus. Sunday I logged 120 miles to New Smyrna beach and back and used 3 gallons of gas.

Getting back in the escape felt like getting into a big car after driving the Focus. When I first got the Escape it felt really small after going from a full size 4X4 Pickup.

Quick Reply: 2013 Ford Escape and Fusion Recalled Over 1.6-liter EcoBoost Engine Fire Risk