Ford Escape The newest smaller SUV from Ford allows the buyer to have the use of an SUV without the hunger for fuel that so many SUVs display.

Ford Escape Wont start

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 12:49 PM
Default Ford Escape Wont start

Greetings everyone...
Here is my dilemma. I replaced the power steering pump on my sons 2003 Escape XLT 3.0 6 cylinder 4x4. After putting it all back together, it just wont start. (Go figure)
I checked the bump sensor to see if it had engaged the fuel pump shutoff and it had not, I checked all the fuses in the cab as well as the main relays under the hood and they all look good. It turns over fine, I hear the pump engaging from the tank, but am at wits end. Any ideas or suggestion??

Many thanks to you all!

Old 04-05-2014, 12:56 PM

If it has a security system, what is the theft light doing as you are trying to start the engine?

Old 04-05-2014, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
If it has a security system, what is the theft light doing as you are trying to start the engine?

Thanks Hanky for the reply...When I get in and put the key in the ignition (w/o turning it) the THEFT light blinks. When I turn the ignition over, it goes away and does not come back on, until the process is started over again..

I'm stumped!! I'm sure it is something so simple it is stupid!

Old 04-05-2014, 03:11 PM

We will go with the assumption that fuel is getting to the injectors. The question is whether the injectors are operating. With the key on there should be power at any and all injectors. The computer makes the ground for the injectors to operate. If you have a means of determining that power is at the injectors with the key on. You can verify this at the easiest injector to get to.

Old 04-06-2014, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
We will go with the assumption that fuel is getting to the injectors. The question is whether the injectors are operating. With the key on there should be power at any and all injectors. The computer makes the ground for the injectors to operate. If you have a means of determining that power is at the injectors with the key on. You can verify this at the easiest injector to get to.

Hanky, remember when I said earlier it was probably something so simple it was stupid?

Well, ran through the tests you suggested, and all looks fine. Took the fuel filter off to check flow as well...looks good.
Checked for spark (which is what I should have done to begin with, but assumed since the engine was cranking all was fine), no spark at any of the plugs.

Soooo, jacked the car up and checked for the Crank sensor to see if it was bad, and to my surprise, it had come unhooked when I released the serpentine belt to remove the pulley for the power steering pump. (im so dumb)
Anyway, after doing the "Rocky dance" she started right up, and all is well. Thanks for the help!

Old 04-06-2014, 05:31 PM

Glad you found and corrected the problem. Without the crank sensor signal the injectors won't fire either. We would have got to that step eventually, but you were a few steps ahead of me. I may forget this situation after a while, but I'm sure you won't.