Ford Enthusiast Unofficial Resource

Go Back   Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners > Ford Trucks, Ford Vans & Ford SUV's > Ford Expedition
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Ford Forum!
Welcome to Ford Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-22-2007, 05:53 PM

Default 1999 Expedition Ticking noise

I own a 1999Ford Expidition 5.4 L engine, and when i start it up and drive wile the engin is cold it make a ticking sound in the left hand section of the motor, looking at it from the front, and i think it is a sticky valvebut im not sure any help is very appreciated.
Old 11-22-2007, 07:01 PM

Default RE: 1999 Expedition Ticking noise

Does the Ticking noise go away when warmed up? If so look at the Exhaust manifold bolts, they rust out and break, causing a leak that goes away after warming up. You can look through the inner fender well to inspect. If not,I know Ford had Wrist pin Noise on a cold engine when starting out.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:45 PM

i had the exact same problem, see my post 5.4l to 4.6l swap
Old 03-30-2008, 05:34 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to wrangler45337

Does the noise get louder with an increase in RPMs. If so it could be a main or rod bearing. That is what happened to me and over time it just got worse until it locked up one day.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:42 PM

Try this bro because I had a ticking noise coming from the same place it seem's and I bought the expedition from my brother and he was in it on day when it was making the ticking noise and he reached up under the passenger floor board (under the glove compartment) and flipped a switch and I haven't heard the noise since. The truck needs so much work done I didnt bother to look in to that problem but it has a body lift and air bags under the chasis so I figured it was for the air bags but just look for a switch under the glove compartment by the inside of the fender and this might help you out. P.S. Do you know how to disconect the fuel lines from the furl filter, i cant figure it out,YET.
Old 02-13-2009, 05:29 PM

Try changing the oil filter the a Ford OEM filter. I bet the noise goes away.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:34 PM

joleo5757- "Does the Ticking noise go away when warmed up? If so look at the Exhaust manifold bolts, they rust out and break, causing a leak that goes away after warming up. You can look through the inner fender well to inspect. If not,I know Ford had Wrist pin Noise on a cold engine when starting out."
if this is the case the bolts can be a real pita because they will have to be removed and replaced. i took my expedition to a local exhaust repair shop and they used a "hush studfix". they fixed it within a matter of minutes and it turned out to be a very easy job that i could have done myself. apparently the part is for sale online.
http://the-hush.com/
definitely check it out.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:34 PM

Tags
1999, 2000, 54l, 99, cold, contour, excursion, exhaust, expedition, explorer, f250, ford, noise, sound, ticking