Ford Expedition The Expedition provides the feel of a full size truck with the seating of a large SUV.

97 Expy ABS light

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 02:33 PM
M W
Default 97 Expy ABS light

Wife tells me this morning the Expy ABS light came on about a week ago and it was hard to stop. Then the shut it off and turned back on it was not on and it braked fine. She failed to tell me that but yesterday it did it again. I went out and started it and no ABS light and it braked fine. But I suspect this happens for a reason. Usually with this rig when she needs brakes you can feel it and hear it and the ABS light never goes on. What do you think? What to look for? Thanks guys, in advance.

Old 03-12-2009, 05:56 PM

MW--Had a similar issue with my 98 model. Ford shop diagnosed it as teh ABS control module. They wanted to charge $760.00 to put on a new one. My problem is the way it fails. When the ABS control module fails now all the sudden you have minimal brakiing. This is extremely dangerous as you will not be able to brake reliably whenever teh module fails.
The symptoms where, when braking you could hear the ABS activate and feel the vibration in the brake pedal but you would not brake, I went through two intersections before I took it to Ford.
As I do not trust the design of Ford's ABS I decided to disable the ABS by removing the fuse. I have not had any braking problems since, the ABS light is on constantly but at least I can depend on the brakes operating when needed. I have contacted Ford three times and they have been no help.