Ford Freestar The latest minivan entry for Ford provides all of the technology in family vehicles with a smooth styling.

2005 Freestyle Ltd - traction light, ABS light, parking break light and speedometer issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 06:23 PM
Default 2005 Freestyle Ltd - traction light, ABS light, parking break light and speedometer issue

I have a 2005 Freestyle Limited and last Tuesday we had a pretty good ice storm and I slid into the curb and cracked my rim. Right now I am waiting in a new rim but my car sat in the driveway on the spare until yesterday. When we took it down to the gas station so I could drive it today, once we got less than a 1/2 mile the traction control light started to blink and then about an 1/8 of a mile later the speedometer quits, the ABS light comes on, the Traction light stays solid and the parking brake light come on. The computer screen tells me to check my brake system and my traction control is on. When I turn my car off the cycle starts all over again. My cooling and gas gages are not affected nor is my RPM gage. Any suggestions. I don't want to take it to the dealer until after I get my tire on but I also do not want to get overcharged either.

Thank you for any help you can give me.

Old 12-29-2008, 08:02 PM
Default RE: 2005 Freestyle Ltd - traction light, ABS light, parking break light and speedometer issue

Might have bent more than just a rim. Check the ABS sensor and tone ring for damage.

Old 12-30-2008, 11:25 AM
Default RE: 2005 Freestyle Ltd - traction light, ABS light, parking break light and speedometer issue

If you cracked a front rim, you may have sustained damage to the front drive unit, in addition to possible suspension damage, at the least an alignment would be suggested (alignment would be good as well if you hit the rear rim, they would be able tell if you had any rear suspension damages). You may want to place an insurance claim and take photos of any damages.

Old 12-31-2008, 05:37 AM

Yep, what "tomb1269" said. Possibly rammed the the drive line into the trans and cracked the speed sensor in the tranny (additional hidden damage). Saw a lady slide into the curb on a curve in Blacklick, OH Tuesday evening when we were there for Christmas. Happened to be a Windstar. Smacked it pretty good in the right front.The steel rimwas wobbling after the impact.

Old 12-31-2008, 12:00 PM

Just to let you know, when I had my rim and tire put back on all the lights and problems with my dash went away. The tire place said it had to do with the traction control and how small the spare tire is. Just letting you know in case anyone else runs into the same problem. Everything is working great now.

It is slightly out of alignment I am just happy that I didn't cause more damage.

Old 12-31-2008, 04:06 PM

I don't want to rain on your parade, and I do indeed hope that you have solved your problem by replacing the rim, but something tells me you're not out of the woods yet. Keep us posted.

Old 01-16-2009, 03:01 PM

It is still running great. I think there may be a barring going bad. It sounds just link the noise from my dad's 2002 Explorer and his barrings are bad in the front end. I will have him check it out this spring when the weather breaks up here.