Ford Expedition The Expedition provides the feel of a full size truck with the seating of a large SUV.

COP recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 07:37 PM
Default COP recommendations

I am having a continual battle with the coils on my 2003 Eddie Bauer Expedition.

I have replace each COP and plug at least twice. Most recently I replaced the #5 about 2 months ago.

I switched to ACCER's the last time and they didn't seem to give any better results than stock...other than a bit cheaper.

I am considering installing Weapon X and with a resistorless plug.

Anyone have suggestions, input, reviews, on durable COPs??

Thanks in advance.

Dave

Old 01-02-2011, 04:32 AM

By stock do you mean OEM ? Have you been using dielectric grease on the coil ends that go over the plugs? Have you replaced the plugs ? What is your present mileage and when did you replace the plugs last? Are you using Genuine Ford Parts?

Old 01-02-2011, 10:55 AM

All work has been done at a Ford dealer and/or a highly reputable mechanic that I have known for several years. I trust that they are up on the most current notices and are using the grease you mentioned. But, since I have to bring the beast in for yet ANOTHER COP replacement I will mention it to them.

My COP issues started around 45k miles. The problem has been intermittant, but consistant. I now have 130k on it and most recently the #5 plug and COP were replaced about 3 months ago. Prior to that I replaced the #5, and before that I did a complete replacement w/ Accer COPs. Haven't gotten any better performance from them vs Ford parts..otehr than saved a chunck of money.

I love the truck, and what I would like to do is put this problem to bed and find a durable COP that I don't have to replace all the time. Weapon X seems to have gotten some good reviews, but don't know if they are the right way to go.

Old 01-02-2011, 12:17 PM

Something to check; Has anyone checked the charging system ? Electronics and electrical can do some strange things when the are operating differently from what they should be doing. For example , if the charging system because of a high resistance connection like a poor ground is either under or over charging it is critical that the correct voltage be available /applied or some computer systems will not operate as designed and these type problems can drive some technicians nuts.
Maybe you just received some questionable parts and are getting the results of this.
From my own personal experience, I have found that I may pay more for Genuine Ford Parts, but They usually performed as expected.
Anyway it might be a good idea to check all the hot side connections you can see and make sure they are really clean and tight , the same goes for the grounds, ALL of them.

Old 01-02-2011, 12:54 PM

Thanks Hanky. Appreciate your insights and suggestions. Checking the charging system maybe just the ticktet! The problem maybe some odd component or a loose connection just as you said.

Will make a list of points for the techs. to check out and see what their report is.

DL