Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

97 Explorer Sport Starting Problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 02:00 PM
Default 97 Explorer Sport Starting Problems

Ok, I have a 1997 Ford Explorer Sport. Sometimes when I go out to start it, it'll just turn over repeatedly never actually starting. Other times it will start just fine and run beautifully. It does not die while driving. All electrical stuff in the cab area works just fine. We can hear the fuel pump kick on when you first turn the key into the 'on' posistion. It is not the weather that has been causing this because it has happened hot and cold, rainy and dry.
Within the last year, we have changed the starter, ignition coil, battery and fuel filter. Someone had told me to unplug the oil sensor switch during one of the 'no start' times, and the car cranked right afterward so we have just left the oil sensor switch disconnected. We have also put the car in a Ford Dealership Repair Dept, and no codes came up, they said it was the ignition coil, even though the one we had just put on was less than 2 months old,so they replaced that again. The car worked for two days, then it no longer desires to start. This car honestly seems to have a mind of its own, starting only whenever it feels like it wants to.
[/align]Currently the car is sitting out in the driveway,the dealership wants to charge 180.00 to come get the car and a whole lot more to go 'exploring' and they told us if the ignition coil they took off doesn't start the car, then we cannot get our 150.00 back on the part they put in. I'm tired and so very lost with this vehicle, if anyone has any ideas at all, I would be more than greatful to hear them.[/align]