Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

Air Bag Diagnostic Code and reset?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 02:14 PM
Question Air Bag Diagnostic Code and reset?

Hello,

I have a 1998 Explorer that had code 12 flashing on the air bag light. Found the fuse and replaced it. Now have code 52. Below is a post I have found to reset the system. However, I can not find the "trouble code clear" connector on the explorer. Any one know where it is?

Thanks in advance.

Scot

"Looks like you repaired the battery loss. Below description is instructions to clear the code. FOLLOW IT EXACTLY.

52 Intermittent or Repaired Lost Battery Feed

Once a fault has been serviced, the associated diagnostic trouble code may be cleared from NVRAM. Only diagnostic trouble codes that the air bag diagnostic monitor sees as repaired or intermittent may be cleared (diagnostic trouble codes 52 and above). In no circumstances can hard fault conditions (diagnostic trouble codes 45 and below) be cleared.

Cycle the ignition switch to OFF and then to RUN.
Observe air bag indicator prove-out (six ± two seconds) followed by diagnostic trouble code (52-85) flashing completely one time.
Locate the Diagnostic "Trouble Code Clear" Connector located underneath the glove compartment containing Circuits 631 (T/R) and 57 (BK).
Use a jumper wire to short Circuit 631 (T/R) to Circuit 57 (BK) or to another good ground. This short must be made after the diagnostic trouble code flashes completely one time, but before the warning light stays on continuously.
Hold short until air bag diagnostic monitor tone sounds (approximately five seconds).
Release short on Circuit 631 (T/R) to Circuit 57 (BK). This short must be released within 25 seconds after the diagnostic monitor tone sounds.
Diagnostic trouble code is now cleared from NVRAM. Next highest priority diagnostic trouble code stored in NVRAM (if one exists) will begin flashing. "

Old 02-09-2014, 01:05 PM

I too, like Scott cannot find the "Trouble Code Clear" connector! ... there simply isn't one on my 1998 Explorer!!! and ALL fuses are good!

Old 03-20-2014, 06:43 PM

Gentleman,
I am helping a lady to save some money. She has a '98 Ford Explorer Sport. Originally the dash light was burnt out for the airbag system and was giving the 5 warning chimes. Fixed the instrument panel bulb and as suspected there was a reason the bulb was burnt out. It was throwing a code all along and now we could see it again.
Well it was a 42 code. Pulled both LF and RF sensors off from the front of the truck. Checked connectors for corrosion and pulled the mounting brackets off and cleaned the mating surfaces with a wire brush for a good connection back to the frame for grounding. I still get the 42 code. Pulled both sensors back off the front of the vehicle and swapped them to see if the issue follows the sensors or the circuitry. Still got the 42 code. Suspected it might still be remember the "old" 42 code and giving a false positive for this test.
I researched on how to clear the 42 code from the airbag computer. EVERYONE says to jump the T/R with B wires on the 2 prong connector. There is NOT a 2 prong connecter connected to this air bag module. So I jumped the BW with the closest wire I could see to a T/R which is right next to the B/W wire. Bingo 42 code goes away. I swapped the sensors back to where they should be and bolt everything down and still no more 42 code but getting the 12 code (low voltage). The battery was weak because the vehicle had sat for quite awhile and killed the battery. Bought a new battery but the 12 code still flashes and I can't clear it jumping the same 2 wires from above.
Checked all the fuses and sure enough the fuse under the hood on the drivers side in slot #5 for the mini fuses was blown. That is the fuse for the air bag control module. Got this licked!!!!..... still get the 12 code ??????

Where do I go from here? At this point I'm not even positive I'm jumping the correct wires to clear the codes because I do not recieve the tone after 5 seconds that all documentation says I should get. But at this point the 42 code is gone but the 12 flashes no matter what I do.

Attached is a picture of the 2 connectors going into this air bag module. I jumped the upper right B/W wire wit the wire directly to its right 2 pins over of the left handed connecter (grey colored). Right? wrong? suggestions??

Thanks in advance,
Steve

Attached Thumbnails Air Bag Diagnostic Code and reset?-airbag_wiring.jpg