Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

Clutch fan 2007 Explorer

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 10:24 AM
Default Clutch fan 2007 explorer

So, heard from my mechanic - thinks its a seal from looking at it. Not really gotten into it yet but I don't think he would tell me that much if he didn't think that was it. I did ask him if the bad seal could have been causing the noise & actions that I videoed and sent to him and thought it was still the clutch fan. He doesn't think so, but I can say on Sat night when I drove home the sounds were the same as when the clutch fan was out the first time, only amplified. I'm wondering if I have been confusing the 2. The first time I took it in for the fan clutch my first thought was transmission............... but then it was the fan clutch. So, its very possible I'm still going to have the clutch fan problem after all of this .................

Disgusted - I did expect a tranny rebuild to last a lot longer than 14,900 miles, that's for sure.

Old 10-27-2022, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by pdavis1234
Ok drove vehicle about 30 minutes this evening. Parked for about 45 minutes then hit back in and drove back home. Clutch fan sounded like it was engaged most oh the way home. Every time gas was pushed fan was extremely loud. The entire way home. This was the most the carcass driven in a short amount of time since the clutch fan was originally replaced. Seriously thinking of getting another opinion from smother mechanic.

Any thoughts ford owners?
I have the exact same problem! Did you ever get your's resolved and what did it turn out to be?

Old 10-27-2022, 03:50 PM

If you get a chance , read all the posts. The procedure for checking fan operation have not changed.

I can understand your concern and feel the need to use a little caution.

What sounds like the same problem could entail a different fix. We could wind up replacing good parts and still have the same problem. Each problem needs to be diagnosed on it's own merits.
Anytime you feel the reply is questionable, a second or third opinion can be useful. Let us know if you need more assistance.

Old 10-27-2022, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
If you get a chance , read all the posts. The procedure for checking fan operation have not changed.

I can understand your concern and feel the need to use a little caution.

What sounds like the same problem could entail a different fix. We could wind up replacing good parts and still have the same problem. Each problem needs to be diagnosed on it's own merits.
Anytime you feel the reply is questionable, a second or third opinion can be useful. Let us know if you need more assistance.
thank you for the quick reply!
2007 explorer 4wd 4.0
Just had it at a ford service center. Gave them a list of symptoms. Fan "roars" when accelerating, low power, poor fuel economy all after driving for awhile. When cold it runs great, responsive etc.
they changed the radiator cap and drove it 10 miles and called it good. I drive it a half an hour and I could hear the fan already.

Old 10-27-2022, 08:37 PM

There are a few things that need to be known before attempting to diagnose a roaring fan noise.

Among them is;
how is the fan clutch controlled
what could be contributing to causing the fan to be full on
The better way to know for sure is to utilize a laser temp gun to obtain an accurate temp reading

Does your vehicle have a temp gauge or idiot light,
If engine cooling is not called for is fan still full on
Air movement could be restricted with dirty radiator fins
Air could be restricted with dirty condenser fins if vehicle has Air conditioning
Water pump could have a corrosion problem where fins on impeller are gone or impeller is loose on shaft
There are a few more possibilities,but it will take someone that really wants to find the cause.
If the engine is getting too hot , there is a feature that cuts out fuel injection to allow heat to be expelled using the engine as an air mover through the cyls.which could be cause for low power., supposed to prevent engine damage due to overheating
Just replacing what we think is malfunctioning can get expensive and still have the problem.
I'm sure some folks will mention things I might have overlooked.
Without actually doing my own tests and checks, I would hesitate to just throw out replacing just anything.

Last edited by hanky; 10-27-2022 at 08:59 PM.
Old 10-28-2022, 05:42 PM

Wow! How soon can you take a look at it? 🤣
thank you for the very detailed answer. I now realize how difficult it could be to find the problem.
I have a temperature gage and today I ran the vehicle in idle for a long time and it stayed perfectly normal. The fan seemed to operate normally. I could hear it kicking in higher rpms every minute or so. Not making the roaring noise. I ran the AC for quite awhile and it cooled at first and then got warmer. After shutting it off for a while I started up and went for drive and it was cooling again. I checked the refrigerant level and it was fine. Weird.
I really appreciate your help. I'm actually visiting in Florida and am driving back to Wisconsin in a couple of days. I was hoping to have it fixed by now but after the Ford dealer took their time to not fix it I am now out of time. I will be driving it home and let my local garage have a crack at it.🤞 wish me luck!

Old 10-28-2022, 05:58 PM

When you get the same usual problems to repair it gets boring.
A challenge every so often is just what we need to break the cycle.
It requires one to start at the very beginning and trace every step and on today's vehicles it's more than a challenge,lol.
Anyway, if it has the fan working more than it should ,it will affect your mileage. The one good thing is it should keep engine temp within the normal range.
Personally,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I would rather get it straightened out before taking the trip home. If it is the water pump, you will not be happy if it decides to crap out in the middle of nowhere. There must be a good shop in your area that could at least replace the water pump and at the same time verify if it is the cause of the problem. At least you would have some kind of accommodations available. What do you think ?

Old 11-02-2022, 10:52 AM

I'm back home in Wisconsin.
I had the oil changed while in Florida and fluids topped off including the coolant. I checked the level everytime I filed the gas tank. It didn't change although i did smell antifreeze sometimes. Never saw anything on the ground. The only problem I had on the way back was thru the mountains in Chattanooga. It started to over heat. Clutch fan became louder but not roaring. I turned the heater on for a while and the temp went down. When I could keep the rpms below 2500 the engine temp stayed normal. Coolant level was good at the next check.
I noted the outside air temp was cooler on the way back and I didn't have the air conditioning on as much. Gas mileage improved. 20.4 mpg compared to 18 on the way to Florida.
I'm torn on what to do with the truck now. I don't know that I want to put a lot of money into it trying to fix it or spend a lot more money getting something new.
I appreciate you replies.
Thank you

Old 11-03-2022, 06:01 AM

When you say checked the coolant level, I hope you were checking the level in the radiator when COLD , not just by looking at the DEGAS (recovery) bottle.
If the radiator cap has a problem the level in the radiator could be low , but the level in the DEGAS bottle could look OK.

Thank You for the update.

Old 11-03-2022, 08:06 AM

Whoops, yes I was just looking at the de-gas bottle.
I will check the coolant level this morning in the radiator.
As I mentioned before the Ford dealer in Florida pressure tested the cooling system and said the cap was leaking which they then replaced. I never saw or smelled a coolant leak before they serviced it. After they serviced it is when I noticed a small amount of coolant on the ground coming from the drivers side of the bottom of the radiator.

Quick Reply: Clutch fan 2007 Explorer