Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

Cycle Key to get it to start?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 10:34 AM
Default Cycle Key to get it to start?

I have a 1992 explorer with 4.0L. When engine is cold, It turns over fine and kicks every once and while but does not start. The only way I can get it to start is cycle the key a whole bunch of times and then try and start it. It will fire right up and idle perfect right away. It has plenty of power on the road as well. It basically runs like a new car when it is running.It seems to be temperature dependent. The colder it is outside the more times I have toturn the ignition on and off. I have replaced the fuel pump and sending unit. I have 45 psi fuel pressure and can hear it going past the regulator etc when I hot wire the pump. I replaced the IAT sensor with no change. The motor will fire right back up right away when the engine is warm.There are no codes showing. I cleaned the crank position sensor, I changed the gas in case it was bad. I have awesome spark. I am running out of ideas. I don't know why turning the key and "priming the pump" make it start when I have constant fuel pressure right away and the pressure will stay there forever when the pump is not running. Could the injectors be dirty? but why does it run perfect?

Could the engine coolant temp sensor cause this? I just don't know why cycling the ignition would make it start.

Thanks for reading. I might have to take it to the dealership.