Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

ABS light & other freaky issues.

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 08:12 PM
Question ABS light & other freaky issues.

Hello Everyone. New here. So here we go.

99 xlt 5.0 2wd
replaced vss on rear end
replaced both front wheel speed sensors
replaced abs module
Checked plugs & wiring with VOM
Still searching for a clue as to where to turn now.

At the U-Pull-It lot yesterday looking for various parts not related to the electronic problems but I did run across a 99 like mine. As you will see in the picture there are many parts missing on the inside. I seen a module I could not ID. It is to the left of the radio inside the dash. I'm going to assume this is the cluster module but that is just a wild guess on my part.

Besides the ABS light and no speed o problem a new one has popped up. My engine heat gauge has always remained just a hair above C. This whole time (about a month now) I just assumed the temp sensor was bad. I should have suspected something else when my heater would never get warm let alone hot. after reading all the post about cold blowing heaters the number one and most talked about was the blend door so I chalked that up to a hung/inop blend door.

Well my diagnosis was incorrect. Just for fun I removed the thermostat cover. It was stuck WIDE open. Bought a new one and walla! I have heat!

Back to the temp gauge and the over head outside temp & direction display. Now that I have heat, my engine temp gauge will make it Almost half way up and stay there, for a while.

Then out of no where my over head display will just go out and the heat gauge will swing all over the place very quickly mostly resting all the way to the right and lighting the Check Gauge light. If I speed up the heat gauge will fall back to midway, let off the gas and back to the right all the way past the stop.

The check engine light will not come on when this is happening. The only time it comes on is at highway speeds and the same two codes over and over again P0500.

Someone told me the over head display (Outside Air Temp) & VSS & the cluster module all play together talking to the PCM. The cluster mod and wiring to it is the only thing left I have not had my hands on.

I went by Advance Auto to have my ABS code(s) pulled. My scanner will not pull ABS. He hooked up to my ride and got the old P0500. He tried to address the ABS but his scanner read "ABS Module Not Responding"

All I can think of checking now would be the cluster module and I think I may have found that module. You tell me.

If you can ID the module in the picture and have any other ideas please let me know.

www.captaintonyking.com/images/pic1.jpg

Thank You Much
Rick

Old 12-15-2011, 09:20 PM
Default ABS Light & Module FIXED!

After much ado, I tracked down a bent pin in the connector on the back side of the fuse box on the inside of the suv. With the help of a friend at a local dealer ship he made me a copy of the pin outs & print of the ABS module connector. here are the links to the two pics of the pin outs.

www.captaintonyking.com/exp/pinout1.jpg
www.captaintonyking.com/exp/pinout2.jpg

Thanks everyone.
Rick