Ford Escape The newest smaller SUV from Ford allows the buyer to have the use of an SUV without the hunger for fuel that so many SUVs display.

2003 starting issues & other issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 08:00 AM
Default 2003 starting issues & other issues

I have a 2003 escape and for the last couple of months I have been have issues starting on occasion. About every month or so I went to start the car and it was like I had a dead battery (click click click, when turning the ignition) I would get a jump start and there would be no problems for about a month. Then the same issue... jump start once, good for about a month. This last time I jump started it I lost interior lighting, radio and automatic door locks with the fob. Also, on occasion, while idleing dash indicator lights would come on until I hit the gas. Can someone please help. I want to say alternator but I can drive around for an entire day without losing any charge to the battery... (don't want to spend the money on the alternator if all I have to do is clean some wiring)

Old 11-04-2009, 12:12 PM

Funny you should mention this problem! I know very little about cars, but mine just died, (I'm going to be posting my issue in a few minutes) and my dad suggested it might be the BCM (Body Control Module.) I'm not sure this is the issue for MY Escape, but it might be for yours. I did some research on it after my dad suggested it, and everything you describe sounds like the BCM. I had the click click click issue a few times after I got what I thought was bad gas, and like yours, a simple jump would do the trick. We thought it was the battery and replaced it (which I'm almost sorry I did now) and, while I hadn't had a problem since then, everyonce in a while it would get sluggish, like it was going to die. Well, last weekend it finally did. But I hadn't had the other issues that you had. How long between it starting the battery problem and you losing the lights, etc? My so-called battery problem started in August.