Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

Front End Noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 04:33 PM
Default Front End Noise

Thanks in advance for your help. 2000 Explorer XLT Sport AWD 5.0 Engine. Original owner. Bought new. 106000 miles. Tires 80000 Michelin with no wear bars showing. Have a noise that I can best describe as what a washing machine sounds like on spin cycle coming from the left front.. Noise can be heard at about 25-30 MPH up to about 55-60 MPH (wind and road noise overcomes at that point). Noise increases in frequency with speed. No change on turn, braking, acceleration. Steering on center with no pull or vibration. Feeling slight (or my perception) vibration in driver floorboard. Noise remains on coasting (in neutral). No visual leaks, damage, or gross defects.

As it has been several years since I replaced and repacked bearing on the ole '56 Chevy, I am not current on my ability to diagnose and/or make any major repair. My concern is taking it to my local tire store/mechanic or far worse the dealer and have them throw parts at it until the noise disappears. My question to you pros is, am I looking a wheel bearing, CV, axle, diff/gear problems or something as simple as a dry CV boot or even tire noise? Your experience and knowledge would at least give me a starting place for any repair or suggestions if I should take this issue further, or just wait for a failure and hope that a wheel doesn't come off and strand either my wife or me.

Any help is sincerely appreciated!! This site has helped me alot over the past few years.
Thanks again!! Steve/Samiguy

Old 08-22-2008, 11:48 AM
Default RE: Front End Noise

WOW!! Over 30 hits and no opinions!! Gotthe issue DX'd and fixed by a good local mechanic. Ended up being both front wheel bearing packs. $800.00 and I'm good to go!! I just guess this site isn't what it was at one time. Thanks for looking!!!