Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

Clicking noise coming from front end-98

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 02:33 AM
Default Clicking noise coming from front end-98

I have a noise in the front end of my 98 Explorer. If I drive my truck for about 2-3 miles it's okay. Then if I stop and slowly creep forward (or backward), there is a clicking noise, like bearings going bad. Now if I get on the highway it seems to have a dull vibration. I took it to a local tire shop (Belle Tire) and they put it up on a hoist, and said that it was the front differential. I want a second opinion before I do anything. I thought that it was a wheel bearing, but they said no. I was told to take the front drive shaft off of the transfer case and see if the noise is still there. I got a chilton's manual, but what's pictured in the manual is not what is actually on the truck. It shows a u-joint on both ends of the shaft. The end that connects to the transfer case has a boot and is bolted to a flange. And even if I did get it off, what would that tell me? Hope someone can give some pointers. Could it also be the CV joint on that side?

Old 02-25-2006, 12:50 AM
Default RE: Clicking noise coming from front end-98

Hello,

I own a 1998 Eddie Bauer Ford Explorer and I have the same exact problem that you do. I have had for a few months now and done some research and this is what I have found out: 1. It is not a wheel bearing on the front end, because I have checked mine and they are as good as new. 2. If you have the same problem that I have, you will actually feel the "clickling" on your steering wheel, especially if you're driving less than 5 mph. 3. From what I have read, it seems to me that it would pinions or the u-joints. Unfortunately, I have not found the cause. One thing, if you push the front end of your explorer up and down you will actually hear the same noise, unfortunately, you need someone else there to try to help you out. Hopefully we can figure this out together because that clicking has become a little annoyance and a safety concern. Please do get in touch with me if you figure out what this problem is - I will make sure to do the same.

Best,

Eric

Old 02-25-2006, 03:00 AM

I just took mine to a second shop. I was told that it is the front differential. I just went to salvage yard and they had one with 20k on it, for $200. The guy is going to charge 295.00 to tear old one out, and reinstall the other one. I have 207k on mine and still runs great. Although, he did say that I have some noise coming from the transfer case and the rear differential. But, you can't really hear those while driving yet.

Old 02-25-2006, 12:36 PM

Please let me know if that solves your clicking noise on the front - if it does, then I will make sure to address mine.

Best,

Eric

Old 05-09-2006, 11:29 PM

also i would check the front hubs that engage your 4 wheel drive. sometimes if the 4 wheel drive is not used a lot or not engaged or disengaged properly you will develop a clicking sound.

vino