Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

Need the Name of a Part

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 06:34 PM
Default Need the Name of a Part

I own a 1992 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 automatic. I recently had a problem with it. On the driver's side front axl just in front of the rotor a part broke and fell out. I have been looking for the name of the part so I can either try to order it online or find it in a junkyard. None of the new auto parts stores here carry it and the workers there don't seem to know what it is. None of the junkyards in town have an Explorer that still has the part on it. I have searched high and low in parts stores online and looked at diagrams to try and figure out what it is called so I can ask the junkyards out of town that I call if they have it before I drive there. When I try to explain it to them they seem confused too. I will try to explain it here and pray to God someone can tell me what it is called and where I might be able to buy it online.

Lets say you have to change the front driver's side brake rotor on a 1992 Explorer XLT 4x4. Of course you would remove the tire and the locking hub that just slides onto the lugnuts to expose the axl. You then remove the little "key" or half washer and pull the round "washer" with the "teeth" that slides onto the axl. This very next part you would remove is what I am talking about. It has pretty much two metal rings one within the other with the inner ring having six little sharp points. The inner ring also has a square "peg" that slides into a slot on the axl. On the back of the outer ring towards where the outer bearing is stored there are two metal rings that are sort of made like springs that fit in a slot presumably to hold it in place.

Does anyone know what I am talking about? Please help!!

Old 01-14-2014, 04:29 PM

I can't tell from your description maybe someone else will be able to help. What I would suggest is that you go to a Ford dealer parts dept and they will pull up the area you question on the screen and have you look at it and usually help you get it. It could very well be a "dealer item" meaning only obtained from a dealership parts dept. Do it once and do it right , it will save you lots of time and trouble.

Old 01-24-2014, 11:00 PM

not sure but sounds like part of the auto locking hub,if it is switch to manual a lot cheaper and better