Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is there such a thing??

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 08:43 PM
Question is there such a thing??

I've been looking EVERYWHERE for a snorkel for my 93 F150 but It seems impossible to find one ever custom made for it. How do I make one myself without making it look like trash?

Old 12-02-2010, 10:59 AM

I'm sure there is one out there somewhere. Where have you looked so far?

Otherwise, I'm sure there is a write-up on a forum somewhere that will give you the instructions.

Old 12-02-2010, 04:10 PM

I don't remember just exactly what the tube looks like,but this may sound silly , what about a section of flexible stainless dryer vent tubing . Can you try something in that line. I believe different sizes are available and heat resistance shouldn't be a problem. Bonus ,,,,,,,,it's shinny and relatively easy to form. Some are made out of aluminum and that's even easier to work with. What do you think?

Last edited by hanky; 12-02-2010 at 04:12 PM. Reason: addl info
Old 12-02-2010, 10:18 PM
Lightbulb

I've checked with a few different companies along the lines of 4x4 magazine and even went as far as calling Safari Snorkel in Australia to see if they made one, I've seen them on many samaris and jeeps and a couple fj's and even a land rover. And as for the Aluminum snorkel its a cool thought but that would be alittle too...breakable for my taste I'm lookin for something that will be durable and look decent on the truck I've gotten as far as looking at pvc (2 3/4 i.d.) and getting elbows to make it move to where I want it, and taking a pvc compound that I can bevel the connections as well as make them air or "water tight" and then going to the local scrap yard and getting a fender off of a scrap ford taking my personal one off and replacing it with the trash one and start my cutting and molding that way I'm not cutting into my finder. I've been looking really hard at the 2005-2009 breather box and how its designed for a new breater on my truck to make it air tight and making a sealed box around the ignition coil that has a rubber gasket around the lid as well as making gaskets for my distributor, or getting the boot off of a 93-97 Taurus that went around the distributor so when I sink my truck under water to where I actually have the use for the snorkel I will have everything sealed tight. I know that Safari does sell the snorkel tip separate they really do have an ingenious design to where the water comes out the sides if your driving through the rain or splashing water in the breather from the tires. Sound plausible or am I trying too hard for something that might not work

Old 12-03-2010, 08:20 AM

Sounds like a fun project to me. Better make sure everything is water tight, or it's going to be an expensive project, too!

Old 12-03-2010, 04:46 PM

best way I figure to do that is to take a hose that is the same diameter as the pvc and a electric blower and hooking the two up and taking it out to the local river and submerging it and testing my plan lol

Old 12-04-2010, 02:21 AM

Sorry , I misunderstood your reference to "snorkel" , thought you meant the air intake tube under the hood.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:44 PM

Do you think the fuse box under the hood and the distributor cap are water tight enough for that?

Old 12-09-2010, 11:12 PM

hey
dnt be upset just try http://www.autopartsway.ca/

Old 12-12-2010, 04:02 PM

no thats why I'm going to water seal them with molded rubber

Quick Reply: is there such a thing??