Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

97 Ford F-350 PowerStroke

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 03:18 PM
Default 97 Ford F-350 PowerStroke

I just bought a F-350 from my boss, it ran about a month ago but we took it to a shop that was supposed to rebuild the engine and after $2500 of repair bills it still doesn't run. It will just crank and crank until the batteries go dead. I've never owned a Ford before but own a 2000 Dodge Cummins so i'm familiar with diesels. I don't even know where to start on this truck the engine is WAY different than a Cummins. It has 275,000 miles on it so if anyone could help me out. Besides buying a new motor, i don't need this thing to run like new its just going to be my college truck so people don't dent up my other truck. Any help would be apprieciated,

Thank you,
Dylan

Old 01-01-2009, 10:45 PM
Default RE: 97 Ford F-350 PowerStroke

hi, the shop probably keeps running the heads dry-the powerstroke runs off of high pressure oil to open the injectors the low pressure oil pump cannot keep up with the hpop if the resivoir is empty-tell them to fill the resivoir and dont crank no more than 8 seconds at a time it will eventually fill up the head gallies and start-this is always a problem when all the oil is drained from the heads-hope this helps,mark.

Old 01-09-2009, 02:40 PM

I checked the oil resevior and there is oil in there. Me and buddy pulled the valve cover off and pulled an injector just to check things out. (I'm a curious person and i wanted to know what a powerstroke injector looked like) and my buddy decided to crank the engine over to mess with me and i can guarantee that there is oil pressure it shot oil about 35 feet in the air and covered EVERYTHING. I don't know what else to try i am out of ideas. I cranked for 5 sec. about 20 times and not even the slightest attempt to fire over. I have two batteries that are fully charged cranking it. If anyone has any ideas i'm open to try anything.

Old 01-10-2009, 10:29 AM

hi, pulling the injector just added more air to the oil and fuel system and the shot of oil you got from the engine was the oil and fuel that drained into the combustion chamber when you pulled the injector out -then of course it will shoot it out of the engine at a very high pressure, that was not oil pressure shooting out the oil but compression of the engine-that was a dumb joke to do while the injector was out of the engine -can cause an injector sleeve to blow loose and start leaking fuel into the coolant-do you have a way to buzz test the injectors?-if so they may not hitting after sitting up for awhile-also do you have a scan tool available to monitor crucial parameters of the sensors to see what is happening with the engine while it is crancking?,mark.

Old 01-11-2009, 11:47 PM

My buddy isn't exactly smart actually he is pretty stupid to be honest but i don't think that it hurt anything of course i don't think it could get any worse than a none running engine. I don't have a way of buzz testing them but as of about 2 months ago they were buzz tested and all were firing according to the mechanic. I might be able to find a scan tool somewhere around my town, if it will help then i'm definately going to try it. Might cost a little bit of money to use though is the only problem. Not many people around here are good people they just want your money.

Old 01-12-2009, 10:32 PM

hi, i know that if powerstroke injectors were run with alot of farm fuel and they sit up for awhile(months) they can stick and the only way to repair them is to have them rebuilt or replaced -i have seen this many times -thus the importance of trying to find a tool locally to try to buzz themif they are buzzing properly you should hear a very loud buzz a small insignifant buzz is a stuck injector -i thouhgt maybe this might be your problem since the engine has not run in some time-with out the proper diagnostic tools i am just shooting in the dark here,mark.

Old 01-15-2009, 04:28 PM

Well this truck ran 275,000 miles with farm diesel thats all it has had in it since new so that might seriously be the problem. I've tried just about everything else and might have to drive around a while and find someone that will run the test for me. If what i'm getting is right i should here a loud buzz my injectors are fine but if it is quiet then there is a problem? Will the computer tell me if there is a problem with the injector or will i just have to listen for myself?

Old 01-15-2009, 10:07 PM

hi, you will have to listen to the audible buzz your self -but if you find the proper test equipment that can buzz powerstroke injectors -then you should be able to do other electrical tests and read codes as well as watch parameters such as oil pressure while cranking the engine-you are at that level now with all the down time spent on this truck

Old 01-20-2009, 01:14 AM

I don't know if you'll be able to answer this or not based on the information i can give you (sorry i'm not a powerstroke man myself) but i've read that Camshaft position sensors can be a BIG problem with these trucks. I called my local dealer and gave his the VIN # and he said my truck was eligible for a recall on that part number. I don't have ANY clue whether or not that is the problem or even if it has anything to do with my no start problem but hell i've tried everything else why not this. The only thing is that I would have to load this long winded bastard up on a trailer and haul it to them to do the work they won't let me do it myself. If it could possibly help my problem then i will do it but otherwise i'm not going to waste my time till i get it running. O and before i forget i had a friend that had a smaller tool that could buzz test but it wouldn't read the codes for some reason and all the injectors tested fine they let out a pretty good noise.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:31 PM

well the loud injector buzz is a plus-and the dealerships offer free towing with the cam sensor recall (if you break down on the raod with it) tell them you pulled into your yard and now it wont crank-lol--thing is they will try to start it after they change the sensor-good thing is you can go with the truck and if they got a diesel tech with a heart workin there he will hook up the scan tool for free and run some quick tests before the boss sees him-lol( i used to do it all the time when working at a large dealership-one way i got so many cutomers from there at my own shop now-lol)then he can hopefully tell you what the problem is,mark