Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

2000 350XL Hightop handicap van.

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 08:50 PM
Default 2000 350XL Hightop handicap van.

This van was used a professional taxi for wheelchair customers. It has complete rubber floor mating heavy duty tie-downs. The conversion was done in Camden New Hampshire.
This van a has 230k on it, and now comes the question.

The motor runs fine uses no oil, but if I happen to find a low mileage 5.4L I would like to pickle it, and save it for later. My daughter has a progressive disability she will be in a chair the rest of her life.

For the experts here, is there only certain 5.4L engine year models that will fit this van. I realize the intake manifold maybe different. I am not familiar with engine interchange ability with different year models?

My circumstance are not going to change meaning I plan to keep this van on the road for a long time.

Thank You in Advance

Jerry

Old 05-17-2014, 10:24 PM

When I first purchased this van it had a antifreeze leak had to be added to weekly not a lot but I could not let that go without knowing.
I thought that the intake was cracked, here is what I found. There was a epoxy that did not adhere very well to the intake just below the thermostat housing.

When I took off the intake manifold the water pump discharge to the thermostat was very eroded it had a huge hole where the antifreeze could circulate around the engine without even going to the radiator.

I set-up my 1/2 Makita drill by C clamping it to the table, and then using a drill bit made it into a lathe tie wrap the on button. Using a 3/8" X 2-1/2" SS nipple and a rasp I turned down to fit into the water pump discharge. I then ground a groove in the back to fit a smallest TIG SS filler rod and use this to make a rebar over the eroded part.
I used Devcon titanium putty it was almost 100 dollars but using there products in past they are very good permatex is another line of theirs they make heavy duty industrial two part epoxies.
Used the edge of a file to cross hatch deep grooves into the head and the sleeve was also very rough do not want it to be smooth cleaned everything with acetone.

I have 700 miles on it. Talk to them about going to a 165 thermostat, they said there was no need as the putty I had was good for 350. We shall see after a year. I think this was the reason they got rid of the van knowing that this repair was going to mean a total head replacement.

Jerry

Last edited by govanator; 05-17-2014 at 10:27 PM.
Old 05-18-2014, 07:02 AM

Ya know after a while we , speaking for myself, learn not to criticize other people's efforts and there are times when you have to do what works and may not be smiled upon by others in the trade, but from what you described sounds like it should do the job.
I wish I could provide an answer to your question about the 5.4 , it might be a good engine , but it comes with a lot of problems. Hopefully someone on this forum can provide the info you seek.

Old 05-18-2014, 11:34 AM

My other car is a Excursion with the V10 engine. The passenger seat rotates, and comes out of the vehicle and lowers close to the ground kind of high if there is no curb with a curb no problem.
It moves very slow so during heavy rain we both get soaked.

It is also getting harder for her to make this transfer , that she was able to do a few years ago. So I use this to conserve the van mostly when I have to go somewhere by myself.

I was a first class steam engineer for cities of Seattle, Tacoma and Spokane. I worked at a pulp mill here as a instrument control technician until mill closure. When I replace or rebuild this engine I would be concerned about turbulent erosion below the nipple especially if there is porosity in the casting.
I would not reuse this head unless it showed no further signs of damage.

Jerry

Last edited by govanator; 05-18-2014 at 11:37 AM.
Old 05-18-2014, 05:02 PM

The newer 5.4 engine is very particular with the type of oil used. Staying with the manufacturers recommendations is the best way to go. I mention this because people had to have an engine replaced and couldn't understand why even when they had the oil changed regularly. With the wrong oil the cam brg surfaces wear and the result is low or loss of oil pressure which then affected the cam phasers and resulted in timing problems. Engines without VVT were not as critical . Just a little food for thought.

Old 05-18-2014, 08:57 PM

Thank You

For letting me know about cam phasers Are these used for ignition timing?
I have used Bosch distance Plus oil filters, and the oil is definitely cleaner when I changed it. These filters weigh twice as much as a motorcraft. 99.9 % efficiency removes more dirt. 300% greater capacity holds more dirt. 2 X greater burst resistance. I used fram for years no more though.

I did hear mention of the cam phasers I will look forward to researching more on this. The neighbor came over, and did not know how to check the pressure on his Subaru AC so I showed him on the van how to do it. In the process of doing this I noticed a different pitch from the belt tensioner. Helping him helped me. Ordered a new motorcraft BT-62 belt tensioner assembly. I did see where you said timing problems that would be a hard one would have to be fixed. Running a heavier grade increased the viscosity, and caused more friction that lead to premature bearing failure? Bosch filter for the 5.4L is D3410, this is also the filter for my excursion uses the same plugs and air, and fuel filters.

Last edited by govanator; 05-18-2014 at 09:30 PM.
Old 05-19-2014, 02:31 PM

The cam phasers don't affect ign timing , but they do affect valve timing which affects performance.
Just as you have found Motorcraft parts "generally" perform better in Ford engines except for the original spark plug problem in certain 5.4L engines.
I can't answer if other filters and aftermarket parts are better than OEM, but when possible try to stick with OEM.

Old 05-19-2014, 03:49 PM

Hanky

Do you mean valve timing as far as when the fuel injector is opened?

Jerry

Old 05-20-2014, 01:53 AM

Variable valve timing is intended to vary the valve opening and closing times and duration. I don't believe injection timing is involved in gas engines like it is in diesel engines.