Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

2004 F-350 6.0 Head lights

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 11:46 PM
Exclamation 2004 F-350 6.0 Head lights

Ok guys, I am a Dodge guy by heart, but a few years ago we bought a 2004 f-350 King Ranch version. I love this truck, and have had very minimal issues with it. I am just now getting to the point where I am able to start modifying it. I was waiting for the warranty to expire on it before I start to do anything major. I now have an AFE CAI, EDGE Chip, 5in Banks Exhaust courtesy of Fergueson's Diesel. My complaint is the head lights. At night I cant see very far, and the lights seem dim. If I am driving it for awhile I kinda get used to it, but when I drive my Dodge truck, or my Chevy truck and then go back to the ford its pitiful.
Here is my question: After searching the forums here and other places, (and not finding much on this topic) What would be the best upgrade to remedy this problem? I have thought about just replacing the OEM stlye bulbs to a higher out put bulb, but I am also leaning towards an HID setup ( I really dont want to have to upgrade the wiring to make it work right).
Any help would be great, and thanks in advance.
Laramie1997

Old 03-27-2009, 09:40 AM

I've not had your problem, but I have gone to HID replacement bulbs in a 2001 and wasn't happy. They just plug in, and didn't have a problem with the original sockets melting like the retailer said may happen. The whiter light from the bulbs didn't seem to make things easier to see, just acted like a flood light. Are the lenses to the light assy. clear and not foggy?

Old 03-27-2009, 12:13 PM

No, they are not yellowed or fogged up. I think that I might just have to bite the bullet and put in a set of high out put silverstars and try them.
Oh, and when I said HID, I meant everything up front gets replaced, the bulbs, wiring, and the whole headlight assembly. On an older truck it might not be that big of a deal, but under the hood of that ford its cramped. Not to mention, that I dont really like to mess with my head light wiring.

Another thing, as far as I know, and I have not pulled current bulb yet, I think that they are still the factory halogens. If that is the case, then that's my issue.
The light complaint is just that it is too dim, and the light projects more out to the sides rather than out in front of the truck. I dont know about everyone else, but if I am driving a 1 ton dually I kinda want to be able to see at night.

Old 03-30-2009, 06:38 PM

Silverstars will definetly make a difference. I have had mine in for years now, have had clear light ever since.

BTW: HIDs are illegal if they are installed in a vehicle that they weren't installed in from the factory. The headlight housings for HID bulbs have sharp cut-off angles to reduce blinding of oncoming traffic. If you get pulled over for HIDs in a non HID housing, it carries with it a hefty fine, not to mention extremely pissed off drivers.

Old 03-31-2009, 12:05 AM

This may make me sound like an ***, but I am going to say this anyways. The only way hid's are offensive to other drivers is when they are incorrectly aimed.
Legal or ilegal, I still install them. I have had a set on my ram for over four years now.
But, from what you and another person said, I will try Silverstars first, and then if I dont like it, I will do HID's....
Collectivly, any other ideas differing from these two would be great too.

Old 03-31-2009, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Laramie1997
This may make me sound like an ***, but I am going to say this anyways. The only way hid's are offensive to other drivers is when they are incorrectly aimed.
Untrue.

Aiming makes no difference as the non-HID housings reflect light to the sides, the indirect light also blinds oncoming traffic. The HID housings have sharp cut offs designed around the outside part of the lens to reduce blinding light. Regular housings do not have this and HID use in a non-HID housing will blind ANY oncoming traffic regardless of where they are aimed.

Old 03-31-2009, 05:28 PM

Maybe I didnt make my self clear in my first post. When I do an HID setup, everything gets replaced! even the housing. That is what I meant by headlight assembly.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Laramie1997
Maybe I didnt make my self clear in my first post. When I do an HID setup, everything gets replaced! even the housing. That is what I meant by headlight assembly.
Gotcha.