Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

2005 F-250 Windshield wipers work on their own.

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 09:09 PM
Question 2005 F-250 Windshield wipers work on their own.

I had this problem last fall and it was recommended I change out the multi-function switch, problem still there. I was then told th change out the wiper motor assy. Problem gone. Now it's back. After truck is warm or about 10 miles, the wipers start operating irratically by themselves and then it leads up to where they run constantly. I cannot control them. When it first acts up, I can turn the wipers on then off and they will reset. The only other change is when they are running constantly, I'll press on the brakes to stop and the wipers will stop but resume once I release the brake pedal. I'm confused, don't know where to go next. I heard ther was a tech bulletin out on the pigtail but can't confirm or find out what the bulletin says. Any help friends.

Old 04-26-2009, 04:08 PM

I would find out if they share a common ground with something. If they do than check to make sure that its good. I would also check for any short to power connections with other wires. It could be a screw, or just 2 cracked wires close to each other. Good luck.

Old 09-12-2020, 08:21 PM
Default Same problem

[QUOTE=huckster;45247]I had this problem last fall and it was recommended I change out the multi-function switch, problem still there. I was then told th change out the wiper motor assy. Problem gone. Now it's back. After truck is warm or about 10 miles, the wipers start operating irratically by themselves and then it leads up to where they run constantly. I cannot control them. When it first acts up, I can turn the wipers on then off and they will reset. The only other change is when they are running constantly, I'll press on the brakes to stop and the wipers will stop but resume once I release the brake pedal. I'm confused, don't know where to go next. I heard ther was a tech bulletin out on the pigtail but can't confirm or find out what the bulletin says. Any help friends.[/QUOTE
I wonder if you solved that issue. I got exactly the same problem. I picked up my truck (2005, F-250 Super Duty, 6.0) from mechanic after he replaced the pressure valve regulator and my windshield wipers started to work erratically. It fits perfectly in the description you wrote. The wipers start going on intermittently after about 8-10 minutes once I start driving the truck. The longer I drive the faster wipers will go and In addition, it started spraying windshield liquid on it’s own as well. Any suggestions/remedies?

Old 09-13-2020, 06:51 AM

I agree checking the motor ground mounting and ground connections is a good place to start .

Old 09-13-2020, 07:12 AM

Carefully inspect the wiring routed in the back of the engine well in the plastic "tray". It is called the Cowl Panel Wiring Shield. That plastic in that panel breaks (or is broken when something is worked on, like the IPR valve), and the wiring drops down on the hot turbo and shorts out.