Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

2016 powerstroke reliability

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 09:27 AM
Default 2016 powerstroke reliability

heyy all,

I'm looking at getting a new f250 6.7 and I'm trying to an understanding of how reliable these trucks/engines are. After reading many horror stories about earlier models, I'm reconsidering.... So what are your thoughts? Any 2015 plus (latest 6.7 release) owners out there with some bad experiences?

Thanks in advance all

Fraser

Old 02-23-2021, 10:28 PM

Just curious, did you buy that F250?
I was warned by my son in law who worked at the Ford dealer ship.about many things being peculiar on diesels than gas vehicles.I never owned a Ford much less a diesel. Well I shrugged him off and bought a 2015 Ford F250. I had always owned Chevrolet or GMC pickups. Never had to take one back to the dealer for anything. Back then I was younger and did preventative maintenance on vehicles that I owned. The F250 went back for minor things right off the bat. I always let the dealer change oil and filter.and rotate tires and replace batteries. 2019 30,000 miles the crankcase vent separator had a problem, factory warranty took care of that. I bought an extended service plan in the beginning. It was only for 72 mos. and 80,000 miles. 5.5years,36,500 miles later and factory warranty expired engine light comes on. saying something wrong with Diesel exhaust Fluid system. Extended warranty covered the $661 cost to replace the heater canister in the DEF tank. I paid $50 deductible. I am getting concerned more now that it being a diesel there will be more surprises. Extended warranty expires in 8 months. I imagine I will be making plans for a different vehicle. I got my kicks out of owning and driving a diesel which I really enjoyed and hate to get rid of it. But if I have to live with anxiety over continue owning it, It surely is not worth it.

Old 02-24-2021, 05:33 AM

Good morning,
I actually traded in my 2016 f250 last year in January for a 2019 f350 Diesel. I traded it in with just over 110,000 miles on it. For the most part it was fantastic. It always started in the coldest of temperatures (I live in Ontario Canada) and got me to where I needed to go and towing whatever I need to tow.
For the most part, I did most of service myself. Well, the regular service that is like oil and fuel filters. I like the idea of not being at the whim of a garage, as my experience around here with them, especially the dealership garages, are horrible. I always used Ford fuel and oil filters, and shell will tell a t6 full synthetic oil. The savings of doing the oil changes myself rather than the garage easily put money back in my pocket and better oil in the truck.
In terms of issues of head with the truck, there was a couple minor ones. In the first 25,000 miles they had to change a wheel speed sensor because of wiring corrosion problems. We use salt on the roads around here in the winter, so if there's any perforations in the wire it doesn't take long to wick up the wire. The other problem I had was the voltage sense wire that ran from the battery to the alternator to have it turned on and off had also corroded through. This also around 30,000 miles. However, when Ford dealership repaired this under warranty, the tech did not do a suitable job at sealing the wire repair he did. Two years later, I ended up with the same problem and head to replace a large chunk of the wire. I did this myself to ensure it was done properly. I found it a little odd to be experiencing wiring issues on relatively newish truck. Anyhow for the last 60,000 miles I had the truck, I never had an issue. The only other thing I did to the truck was change the pads and rotors, even then I probably didn't need to do the rotors. So all in all it was a good experience in my view with the actual truck, dealership garages, not so much.
I've had this 2019 f350 for almost 20,000 miles now, and I just had to take it in for a DPF soot sensor replacement. Other than that so far so good on that truck. This truck the fifth wheel so much better with a better payload capacity.
My past four trucks have all been Ford, and have been relatively happy with them all. I usually trade them in at 100,000 miles, so I can't talk as to longer term maintenance. I have plenty of friends and colleagues with Ford's Chevys and Rams, and from what I can see, they are all about the same in terms of reliability and problems that was seen in the '80s and '90s. Personally I think if you buy any one of the major three, you still get a very decent vehicle.
I'm not sure if this babbling post helps, but there it is :-) cheers