Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

passenger side exhaust noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 09:55 AM
Default passenger side exhaust noise

First off, '05 F250 Superduty/ 5.4 Triton

Ok, I had a ticking noise forever, I always thought it was a lifter, Found it was a cracked header. Took it to a shop to get it fixed. They didn't have any problems with the studs. Got it back and it ran great for a while. I don't drive it every day and usually pull my TT with it when I do go out. The third trip with the TT it started up again and I was getting really bad mileage. I replaced the O2 (Its at 154,00) Got better mileage, but the noise was getting worse and power is down.
Took it back to the shop to have them look at it, They can't/won't get to it till next week.
I said screw it. Spent 4 hours rolling around in the driveway to get the manifold off, took out the gasket, bolted it up, Its still ticking.
The mechanic said that they don't usually put gaskets on then because they just blow out. It is a metal gasket that looks like it might have blown out between the 2 sheets on it. So unless there is something I am missing I plan to get a new gasket and put it in.
This time I am going to #1, take the wheel well out so I can get to it easier. #2 put bolts in, in place of the studs.
Does anyone know the size and length of the bolts I should get for this? It would save me one extra trip.
And what do I do if the header is warped? I don't have a clue what kind of shop I would be looking for to fix that.
Any thoughts?

Old 10-23-2015, 12:44 PM

If you plan on keeping the vehicle a while , consider replacing the exhaust manifold studs on the side apart and installing either brass or stainless nuts to secure the manifold. After a few miles retorque the nuts . It's a stinker to redrill those studs if they break off in the head on removal of the manifold.
Check with a local machine shop if they can resurface the manifold ports. It might be cheaper than replacing the manifold.

Old 10-23-2015, 05:02 PM

Yes, That is what I plan to do. Replace the studs with Stainless bolts, No studs and nuts. Just a bolt right in to the head so I don't have that problem. What I was hoping to get was a bolt size and length so I can buy them ahead of time.
Also, What does everyone think of a gasket at all? I am not so sure that leaving it off is such a good idea.

Old 10-25-2015, 04:25 AM

The studs do help make it easier to install the manifold.
Both the surface on the head and manifold are supposed to be true and flat and usually don't use gaskets on most engines today. Some use gaskets as extra insurance for uneven surfaces. Once studs are installed they stay in place until replacement is necessary and bolts can freeze in the head and be difficult to remove if necessary.

Old 10-25-2015, 09:42 AM

Thank you hanky. That is a very good to the point answer.
Since 6 of the 8 studs come out when I take tham off. I was going to replace them with the SS boots with split washers and put SS nuts with washers on the 2 studs. Maybe some anit seize as well. I think I will get on it early in the AM so I can find a shop to fix the heads.
Thanks