Ford Freestar The latest minivan entry for Ford provides all of the technology in family vehicles with a smooth styling.

2004 Ford Freestar cutting/acting up out

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 06:55 PM
Angry 2004 Ford Freestar cutting/acting up out

I do not know really what the problem is except it acts like it cuts out at any speed. Especially when the fuel pedal is barely pressed at any speed 20 MPH, or at 70 MPH. It all started about 2 weeks ago when I redone, replace parts of the AC unit. That was a night mare. I changed the compressor, accumulator, orifice, rear expansion valve, fuel filter, oil and oil filter. No problem with that, but it started after I cleaned the AC line out. I blew through lines out from the rear to the front. The crap that came out, man oh man, a mess. Looks like GREEN leak check or something. Well shortly afterwards it started like missing but not missing. It acted like it would cut out for a split second. And only when the fuel pedal was barely pressed, like cruising through town at 20 MPH. NO codes, No check engine light come on. It has the 3.9 engine, about 158,000 miles on it. Any ideas? I've checked with many parts stores and no idea's.

Old 09-04-2014, 04:15 AM

I also removed the wiring harness from the PCM and applied a thin layer of electrical grease to it.

Old 09-05-2014, 10:03 AM

Fuel filter replaced last? I do mine every 30K miles (wouldn't believe the crud that comes out of it). Might be fuel pressure regulator since these use the electronic non-return units. May also be the cam position sensor going bad. Mine never set a code when it was acting up (I have a post about it on this site).

Old 09-05-2014, 02:49 PM

Yeah replaced the fuel filter at the same time as other work. Changed plugs, wires and coil pack about 2 months ago. Doesn't mean anything though.

Old 09-11-2014, 08:07 PM

Ok update!
Took our freestar to a mechanic and within 10 minutes he figured out what the problem is.

Torque converter shudder

Went to local parts store and picked up this. Not a problem only after the ford recall on converter which we had done about 2 months ago. So traded on problem for another. Don't know whether to contact dealer and see if they would replace it or what. But at least I know what the problem is now!

Old 09-12-2014, 12:12 AM

That's different. I never had torque converter shudder with any of my automatic transmission in any of the vehicles I've owned over the years with an auto tranny.

Old 09-12-2014, 10:45 AM

The suggested answer to the problem ,according to the symptoms you have provided , leads me to be somewhat skeptical .
It is difficult, if not impossible, to solve some problems over the net without actually being there to see and feel the symptoms. Did the stuff you showed lessen/temporarily correct the problem?
Just because the coil is "new" , doesn't mean it can't have a problem, especially if it was an aftermarket of inferior quality. Maybe it was just coincidence that it started after you did the A/C work , but it is possible some of the stuff you cleaned out got where it was not supposed to go.

Old 09-12-2014, 03:50 PM

Yes, all that stuff I blown out of those AC lines could have gotten on some of the electrical connections. I put that tube into the transmission and it helped for a while and lessened it a lot but not a total fix. Said it would fix within 10 miles. Still no codes, I had the mechanic hook up his computer and NO stored codes. So now what? Maybe a total transmission problem who knows.

Old 09-12-2014, 06:42 PM

Some problems don't always throw a fault code. You might get some guidance if a hi end scan tool was used because that tool may show "pending" codes. There are quite a few fuel system problems that don't throw a code for example. Intermittent faults sometimes will throw a code and sometimes not depending on severity and frequency of occurrence. It could be a trans related problem, but that can get expensive and it is best to rule out any possible engine problems first.

Old 09-13-2014, 07:26 PM

Wonderful.

Today my mother in law's '04 Aerostar did the interupted/xmsn jerking ten or twelve times in 45 minutes of driving today. This is the fourth time the issue has occured [with me] in the last three years. She says "it happens a lot, but not all the time". The dealership (repeatedly) can find no problem. What a loser answer. ..."not my fault"...

This car had the torque converter recall/repairs done over a year ago. So this issue has been going on before & after the recall repair. It really does feel like a transmission issue and not engine related. ...As if the transmission can't decide if it wants to stay engaged or shift gears. As this is a very intermittant issue [no particular speed or conditions], it is extremely difficult to solve.

Last edited by 60DRB; 09-20-2014 at 08:23 AM.

Quick Reply: 2004 Ford Freestar cutting/acting up out