Ford Freestar The latest minivan entry for Ford provides all of the technology in family vehicles with a smooth styling.

P0316, P0303, and P0401

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 08:25 PM
Default P0316, P0303, and P0401

My wife was driving her van and it broke down today. The engine was running real bad and rough, so she pulled over and called me to come and get her. By the time I got there, the van will not start and the battery was dead. So, I had the van towed to my home to work on it.

The codes I got was P0316, P0303, and P0401.

I know P0401 is related to EGR and it was going on and off for about a month.

I am not sure about the other two codes. Could it be the computer (ECU?) in the van misread the errors because of bad alternator? I am assuming the alternator went bed and the battery died as she was driving. Is that a good assumption?

2004 Freestar Limted with 4.2 V6
135,000 miles.

Old 03-16-2011, 04:57 AM

The better way to handle this maybe would be, charge the battery, then see if it will start. If it does, then your assumption would be in the ballpark. If it still doesn't start then go after the codes.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:40 AM

OK...

P0303 is Cylinder #3 Mis-Fire
P0316 is Engine Misfire Detected on Startup (First 1000 Revolutions)

Suspect the P030 occured prior to engine shut down and the P0316 occured while trying to re-start the engine.

I would definatley see if the battery will charge and hold a charge. If it will and hold a charge, then check the alternator for proper output under load. Is this the original battery? I just replaced my original battery back in September as I had a cell sulfate on me. I started the van, pulled it out of the garage and shut it off. Came back out about 1/2 hour later to leave and the van would not crank over. Battery was dead as a door ****.

Let us know how you make out on this...

Old 03-16-2011, 10:26 AM

Great. I charged the battery and she held the charge over night. So, something else killed the battery (maybe left the lights on). When I started the motor, it was stumbling and running real rough. I am sure it is misfiring, so now I need to figure out how to gain access to the back of the engine. Let the games begin.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:17 AM

I took the cowls, wipers, etc off the van. I now have access to the back of the engine. What steps should I do to trouble shoot P0303 and P0316.

Thanks

Old 03-17-2011, 07:03 AM

Well, if it was me and at 135,000 miles...I would replace the plugs, wires and coil if not already done. My coil was causing studders at speed (felt like tranny jolt) at about 75,000. New coil cured that problem. Left the cowl off for a week after replacing the coil. Then I replaced the plug wires with a good set of PACKARD wires. Make sure you use dielectrical grease on both ends. I replace my plugs at 50,000 regardless of how it runs.

I still wouldn't rule out the battery. If the voltage is low enough, it can cause runability issues. The starter requires the amperage, while everything else requires a good voltage. A borderline battery could have you chasing ducks.
Do the following to check your battery.

1. Get a digital volt meter and measure the battery voltage before starting the engine. A good battery at rest should read about 12.15 vdc.

2. Start the engine and the voltage should read about 13+ vdc.

3. Next test the alternator with the engine running by running everything, turning all lights on, high beams, A/C, heater and place the fan on the high setting.

4. Voltage should go up to about 14.5 vdc and stay there steady. As the battery is being recharged, the voltage will slowly go down to about 14 vdc and stay steady.

5. If this is the case, then your alternator is working correctly.

6. Turn everything off and shut the engine down. Voltage should drop to about 12.5 vdc and stay there.

7. If this all hold true, then I would suspsect the ignition coil breaking down causing the problem.

Hope some of all of this helps.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:50 AM

Fixed!!!! It was the coil.

I am going to go ahead and replace the spark plugs.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:42 PM

Don't forget the wires while your at it. They break down from age and increase in resistance. May as well do them also while the cowl is off. Use dielectrical grease on the boot ends and I prefer copper aniti-sieze on the plug threads. The aluminum anti-sieze is OK, but tends to actually sieze up over time when used on plug threads.

Last edited by Use Common Sense; 03-18-2011 at 04:32 AM.
Old 07-16-2011, 03:35 PM
Thumbs up

Hello from blistering SE Missouri, Thank you for your postings re: 04 Freestar Limited--I find your posts informing and I generally trust opinions from the "been there done that" group - and thus seek your advise for my 04 Limited. We bought this van used and do not know a history. It has been giving a P0401 code and lately has started stumbling under light acceleration-and this is getting progressively worse. I now have codes P0316 and P0305 as well. So I checked the online search returns and that is how I came upon this forum. Since the DPFE/EGR unit is expensive I am hesitant to replace it without confirming it to be at fault. The troubleshooting information I find online is for engines with a separate DPFE and EGR device. I keep running across references to blocked passages and carbon deposits without clues as to where to look for this. The two vacuum lines connected to the DPFE/EGR ***'y seem to have about equal vacuum when the engine is running so I am assuming the blockage is not where these are connected to the engine. The spark plug cables are Belden Premium 8mm and bright blue in color--would these be original? I see your Freestar has been well tweaked. What mpg did you have before and after the mods? Do you think iridium plugs make a substantial difference? You are appreciated here, Larry J btw: 45 years in industrial electronics, r&d, environmental testing, power conversion, and rf.

Old 07-17-2011, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by larryj711
Hello from blistering SE Missouri, Thank you for your postings re: 04 Freestar Limited--I find your posts informing and I generally trust opinions from the "been there done that" group - and thus seek your advise for my 04 Limited. We bought this van used and do not know a history. It has been giving a P0401 code and lately has started stumbling under light acceleration-and this is getting progressively worse. I now have codes P0316 and P0305 as well. So I checked the online search returns and that is how I came upon this forum. Since the DPFE/EGR unit is expensive I am hesitant to replace it without confirming it to be at fault. The troubleshooting information I find online is for engines with a separate DPFE and EGR device. I keep running across references to blocked passages and carbon deposits without clues as to where to look for this. The two vacuum lines connected to the DPFE/EGR ***'y seem to have about equal vacuum when the engine is running so I am assuming the blockage is not where these are connected to the engine. The spark plug cables are Belden Premium 8mm and bright blue in color--would these be original? I see your Freestar has been well tweaked. What mpg did you have before and after the mods? Do you think iridium plugs make a substantial difference? You are appreciated here, Larry J btw: 45 years in industrial electronics, r&d, environmental testing, power conversion, and rf.

Not only you need EGR, you also need new coil. It happened to mine just like yours. first, it was PO401, I ignored it for a while, then it came up with P0316 and P0303 with the exact same symptoms you are having. I am not sure if the coil failed because I put off changing the EGR. However, if I read your comments correctly, it looks like the exact same thing happen. If money is an issue, get a coil and EGR from the junk yard. You may be able to get those off a Ford Explorer as long it is 4.2 and the parts number match up. Be warned, it is hard to replace the coil since it is on the back of the engine. You will have to remove the wipers, cowl, duct work for fresh air, etc to gain access to the back of the engine. If you are going to do that, get new spark plugs, wires and coil so that you will never have to do it again.

Quick Reply: P0316, P0303, and P0401