Ford Ranger The small pickup that has withstood the test of time offering pickup truck usefulness combined with an affordable price.

93 Ranger distributor wires pulled out!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 10:33 PM
Default 93 Ranger distributor wires pulled out!

While changing the clutch in my 93 with 3.0L engine, I accidentally pulled all the wires out of the C126 plug that goes into the side of the distributor. I pushed them back in but now have no spark at the coil and I assume that the wires are not in the right holes. Does anyone have aoic or can someone check their 93 or 94 3.0L and see what the right order is?
This pic is how I put them back in(but have not been able to get it to work-ran fine before clutch change) with the plug out for better pic angle.

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails 93 Ranger distributor wires pulled out!-img_1977.jpg  
Old 04-22-2011, 10:39 AM

Am trying to get exact positions of the wires for you. The info I have located so far is somewhat confusing to me. Does that harness plug you show in the picture have holes for 6 pins, but only uses 4 or does it only have 4 holes and only 4 wires.
Usually the black is a ground wire and the red is battery feed from ignition.
The info I have shows Ranger and Aerostar as being similar. The layout of the harness plug will make it easier to place the correct color wires in the correct slots.
Can you help me out on this?
From what I can see so far the red wire with the white tracer is in the right place. Until I can get the rest of the info from you , it appears the black wire is not in the right place. Will wait until I hear from you or someone else with the correct info sends it sooner.

Last edited by hanky; 04-22-2011 at 10:46 AM.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:06 PM
Default 93 ranger problem

On my Ranger, there is only a four pin plug going directly into the distributor. It appears to be called the C126 plug and there doesn't seem to be a picture or drawing of this plug anywhere in the Ford library of tech drawings. The wires are coded black, orange with red stripe, red with light gray stripe, and gray with orange stripe.
I believe that the 6 pin plug is for the ICM or the 95 and later engines.
The Haynes manual for the 93 Ranger shows the C126 plug on page 12-37 but there is no corresponding picture of the plug like there is for the C1006 plug which goes into the ICM.
Today, I have replaced the coil and plug wires, verified that the coil is operating correctly, and charged the battery overnight while cleaning its contacts thoroughly.
Still no spark from the coil.
So I am still thinking that the wires are not in the right place.

Old 04-23-2011, 12:49 AM

I have come across a couple of diagrams for the 93 Ranger 3.0 engine and none of them is the same. The 4 wires are; hot feed, 2 from the PIP signal and the black one for the ground. As soon as I can get a definite picture of the correct wiring I will send the info.
I just hope you did not destroy anything in the TFI module with the possible incorrect wiring. Hang in there.

Old 04-23-2011, 06:16 AM

Here is what I was able to come up with so far.
Black wire goes to the case ground (ECA) pin # 20
Orange /red tracer wire- ign ground (ECA) pin#16
Red / grey tracer wire- signal return (ECA) pin#46
Grey/ with orange tracer-PIP (profile ign pickup) (ECA) pin#56
Now all I need to do is get the exact location in the plug. This is a tough one since there is very limited info available for this Ranger system. But we will get it !
Can you shoot me a pix of the module on the dist?

Last edited by hanky; 04-23-2011 at 06:17 AM. Reason: addl info
Old 04-23-2011, 07:34 AM

The module? I am now confused. Where is the module located at on the distributor? The only thing on the exterior of the distributor is the port that C126 plug goes into, there are no other external items on my distributor. And the port is solid and attached to the body of the distributor.
Thanks, I sure appreciate the help.

Old 04-23-2011, 11:39 AM

Do you have anything that looks like a 2-3 inch long x1 1/2 wide with wires coming out of it mounted anywhere on a fender well or the firewall? That could/should be the ign (TFI)module. Maybe that's why I having such a hard time trying to find that plug when it indirectly connects the module to the distributor.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:39 PM

The ICM, Ignition Control Module, is located on the radiator support, drivers side, close to the headlights. I assume that it gets better cooling there. On the firewall near the distributor, there is nothing anywhere near the distributor except a ground wire from the engine block to the firewall.
Yes, the main problem is that there is no Ford drawing of the 4 pin plug that goes into the distributor on the 93/94 3.0L distributor which the Haynes manual and the Ford tech sheets for that engine. Everything describes the 6 pin plug which goes into the ICM but not the C126 plug.
Ford seems to have completely forgotten this plug.

Attached Thumbnails 93 Ranger distributor wires pulled out!-img_1977.jpg  
Old 04-24-2011, 03:57 AM

What you need to do now is open that distributor cap and trace each individual wire and see where they go and then decide how to place them into the plug. I have a diagram for the 93 ranger 3.0 and it's not color coded , but we should be able to figure it out. You may find that they use only two of those wires. Let me know what you find in there and if possible send a picture. We're rounding third base now.

Old 04-24-2011, 06:55 AM

You may find they use only two of the 4 on the plug.
I believe you will find, one of the two will connect to the orange wire with the red tracer and the other will connect to the grey wire with the orange tracer.
If you hold the plug with the locking clip down and the plug facing you , the ign grd is the second hole from the left and the Grey with the orange tracer goes into the first slot from the left side of the plug. You probably can disregard the other two wires.
Have a happy Easter!

Quick Reply: 93 Ranger distributor wires pulled out!