Ford Taurus The long running mid sized sedan offering sure footed front wheel drive and a roomy interior.

FM reception problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 11:57 AM
Default FM reception problems

I posted this issue in the "Audio/Video" discussion and got no replies, thought I would try here as well ...
Our '03 Sable has the stock AM/FM with CD player in the dash. I have never experienced such crappy FM reception in a vehicle! I looked under the dash for an antenna cable going to the radio and found none. If I am wrong about this, someone please enlighten me and let me know where it might be! It is my understanding, the antenna is integrated into the pigtail plug. Is this true?
Has anyone else here experienced this problem? If so, how did you correct it? I considered a new antenna but, it is mounted on the rear fender and would be a royal pain to rewire. any suggestion here will be considered!

Old 03-31-2013, 01:11 PM

I think that you need to replace the radio in the car and if you still can't get the reception then you have a break in the wire for antenna

Old 02-01-2014, 01:32 PM

I thought I would "Bump" this back up. I have taken a few suggestions from the "Mercury" forum and went about my own and pulled the trunk liner out under the antenna and took everything loose from the metal box everything goes in and out of. I coated all the connectors and bolts with a bit of dielectric grease to try to eliminate any bad connections. Reception is STILL the worst I have ever experienced in a vehicle!

Old 02-04-2014, 07:35 AM

You have no antenna wire on back of the factory radio, you do have a wire off the amplifier in the back trunk going to the antenna. It sounds like the wire is bad at the base of the antenna. I replaced my radio with one from Crutchfield in Virginia . That made the best audio ever for me. One other thing to look at are the speakers, If the foam around the edge is gone . Replace the speakers. This is one cause of that also. Good luck.