Ford Thunderbird Starting in the 1950s, this was a classic American sports cars, from the compact original of the 1950s, to the muscular hard top coupes of the 1980s and 1990s to the retro look of the 2003 model year, this car is, and always will be, an American classic.

78 Tbird....no back up lights and no power in gear

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 07:53 PM
Default 78 Tbird....no back up lights and no power in gear

My dad died and left me this car. It's a real work in progress.....lol.Well, anyway, I have no back up lights. Obviously, I replaced the bulbs and fuse with the correct ones. I was wondering, do I need to get a new trans switch to get them to work?
Next, I did a complete tune up. Checked and repaired or replaced the vacuum lines. Now , the car sometimes has a flat spot in the carb and no power in gear.
Help?????

Old 09-26-2012, 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by Paul Clayton Thomas
My dad died and left me this car. It's a real work in progress.....lol.Well, anyway, I have no back up lights. Obviously, I replaced the bulbs and fuse with the correct ones. I was wondering, do I need to get a new trans switch to get them to work?
Next, I did a complete tune up. Checked and repaired or replaced the vacuum lines. Now , the car sometimes has a flat spot in the carb and no power in gear.
Help?????
Hello. I see this is your first post. Welcome to the forum.

To find out why the back up lights don't work, the best, and easiest way is to use a test light, and probe the back up light circuit from the fuse, through the back up light switch, and continue working "down stream" to the lights themselves.

If you are not familar with a test light, and its use, I'd be happy to help you with this process step by step.

As for the flat-spot in the carb', my first thought, if it is a Holley carb', is that the Power Valve may be blown, and need replacement. The Accelerator Pump may also be defective, and there is an easy, quick check to see if it is working properly.

Other things that come to mind: When you did the tune up what is the base timing set at? Did you use a timing light with an advance gauge? And, is the vacuum advance hooked up to ported vacuum?

My sincere condolences about your loss. Hope I can be of some help getting the T-Bird running like a champ.

Last edited by thexlo8ers; 09-26-2012 at 01:19 AM.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:15 AM

Hi!! Thanks for the response.The carb is a stock 2bbl. Accelerator pump is new. Where is the power valve? Inside the body of the carb?
And the ignition is all electronic so adjusting the timing is useless, right?
could it be the fuel filters and or the catalytic converters being stopped up?

Old 09-26-2012, 01:28 PM

Hi!! Thanks for the response.The carb is a stock 2bbl. Accelerator pump is new. Where is the power valve? Inside the body of the carb?
And the ignition is all electronic so adjusting the timing is useless, right?
could it be the fuel filters and or the catalytic converters being stopped up?
Does the carb' look like this?

http://www.holley.com/data/products/...arge0-7448.jpg

The timing is adjustable on a '78 Ford. What size engine?

By all means, change the fuel filter(s).

Stopped up cat(s) will cause poor performance. Esp. in the top-end.

The best way to check for restricted exhaust (clogged cats) is to hook up a vacuum gauge to intake manifold vacuum, and slowly bring the rpm's up, and watch the gauge.

If the needle drops off as you bring the rpm's up that is an indication of a restricted exhaust.

Here is a pic of vacuum gauge readings. Bottom row, far right is what you want to look for.

http://www.freeasestudyguides.com/gr...m-readings.gif

Last edited by thexlo8ers; 09-26-2012 at 01:33 PM.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:58 PM

The carb does resemble the one you sent. The motor is a 351/400m.

Old 09-29-2012, 04:56 PM

The carb does resemble the one you sent. The motor is a 351/400m.

Ok. The Power Valve on the Holley is located on the metering block. Number 40 in exploded view.

http://www.carburetorfactory.com/images/expvw18.jpg

You mentioned the accelerator pump has been changed. Did you do that yourself? Do you have any experience taking Holleys apart, and putting them back together with a rebuild kit?

Do you have a timing light?

Old 09-30-2012, 01:29 PM

No experience in carb rebuilding. But I can do simple part replacements. I have no timing light. My dad and uncles taught me to set the timing with my ears. I know this sounds like voodoo, but on non electronic motors I can do it. I am changing the fuel filters today. Yes, it has 2. 1 in the front of the carb and 1 inline below the power steering pump.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:59 AM

Any ideas on the backup lights? I have new bulbs and the fused are new.

Old 10-14-2012, 07:49 PM
Default 77 T-bird no power

I am glad to read this post as I have a similar car with a similar issue.
It's a 77 T-bird with the 351 M motor (based on the 400).
2 barrel carb.
I have tuned the car up and the carburetor was rebuilt not very long ago.

Though it runs fine, I feel like this car has so little power, considering it is this decent size V8 motor. I know cars from this time period are not particularly powerful, I think the horsepower rating on this engine is something like 135 HP only.

Is there any way to get more power from these engines, or is this something you have to live with because of the emissions equipment used at the time?

Old 10-18-2012, 02:19 PM

Update....back up lights fixed....sorta...the shifter linkage was loose.
And I agree , the motor is anemic.
I would like to pull all the emissions stuff, but am unsure what I have to have to run.