Ford Expedition The Expedition provides the feel of a full size truck with the seating of a large SUV.

Gear shift stuck in 2nd gear! Advice?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 11:44 AM
Default Gear shift stuck in 2nd gear! Advice?!

I have a 2002 Expedition. I started it up and backed down the driveway this morning with no problems, but once I shifted gears, the lever broke at 2nd gear and now will not shift to drive, neutral, or even park. Was hoping to drive to a shop, but was instructed to kill the engine and check it out (by someone who claims they know trucks!). Now you know my predicament has increased. Not only is the truck stuck in 2nd gear, now the engine is off (and of course will not restart when in gear DUH!!) and the key is stuck in the ignition and is STILL in 2nd gear! Other than getting towed to a repair shop, is there any other things I can do to fix this?

Old 04-26-2011, 05:29 PM

First I would apply the parking brake. Then I would go under the vehicle and see if i could disconnect the shift cable from the trans lever. After that i would try the shift selector in the vehicle and see if it will move . If it does the problem is in the trans. If it doesn't the problem is in the shift linkage. You may be able to start the vehicle if you can get the shift lever on the trans into neutral, not sure if column safety will not allow ign switch to go to start position. Even if you get it started you still will have to get it into gear and that requires you to do that while the vehicle is running and that just is not safe or a good thing to do. If you had someone hold their foot on the brake while trying this you might at least get it to move . Depending on what you find when disconnecting the shift cable will most likely determine your next move.