General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

07 Escape, Could it be the alternator?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 05:01 PM
Default 07 Escape, Could it be the alternator?

Driving yesterday suddenly my whole dash and radio when out, however the car didn't stall. Made it home and jumped it no problem. Started out again it died while I was driving. Battery is only 6 months old. Had the battery checked and came back as good but recharge, so I had it charged. Put it back in and started right up, turned it off and tried again but it was dead. Lights and other things work no problem. I did check the cables. Thoughts of a cause? Thanks.

Old 11-23-2014, 05:27 PM

There are some conflicting bits of info you are providing.
What we need to know is ;
with the headlights on and trying to start the vehicle, what happens and what do the lights do?
If the lights go dim or out , the battery is suspect or the starter is pulling too much current. Since it starts with a charge that would eliminate the starter.
There is a good possibility the alternator is out to lunch. If that is the case you could do the following, get a replacement alt from a local auto store (they don't always work) or get one from a Ford parts dept (they usually work ) or have a local starter/alt shop rebuild your alt and put it right back on. Make sure the ground from the battery to the engine/sheet metal is clean and good . Without some type of meter it is almost impossible to be sure the alt is defective, did the charge lite come on? If a voltmeter was available you should read at least 13 volts at the battery with the headlights on and the engine running if the alt is working properly.