Appearance Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

Ways to Tint Your Head and Tail Lights

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 03:18 PM
Default Ways to Tint Your Head and Tail Lights

Not sure where to post this but I recently wrote a blog post (here Custom Ford Lights: Smoked Tail Lights - How and Where to Do It) detailing the different options available for anyone considering tinting their head lights and tailights.

In short, I broke it down to the three possible ways to tint your lights (this assumes you think it's a good idea to do at all of course so I'm putting all legal and stylistic questions to the side):

1. Using sprays/paints
2. Using films
3. Using complete aftermarket replacements.

I go a little further in the post and discuss the benefits and disadvantages of each but since writing it I have been wondering if anyone has any other ways to achieving the same end. I mean, can you tint with Plasti-dip? I've never used the stuff so I don't know but I'm throwing this out there to get feedback and see if I've missed anything. Anyway, thanks for reading and have a great weekend!

Old 11-16-2013, 09:14 PM

I think tinting your headlights would be illegal.

Old 11-17-2013, 12:18 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Rvinyl.com
Not sure where to post this but I recently wrote a blog post (here Custom Ford Lights: Smoked Tail Lights - How and Where to Do It) detailing the different options available for anyone considering tinting their head lights and tailights.

In short, I broke it down to the three possible ways to tint your lights (this assumes you think it's a good idea to do at all of course so I'm putting all legal and stylistic questions to the side):

1. Using sprays/paints
2. Using films
3. Using complete aftermarket replacements.

I go a little further in the post and discuss the benefits and disadvantages of each but since writing it I have been wondering if anyone has any other ways to achieving the same end. I mean, can you tint with Plasti-dip? I've never used the stuff so I don't know but I'm throwing this out there to get feedback and see if I've missed anything. Anyway, thanks for reading and have a great weekend!
There's a place for lamp tinting, customs ect. But looking into your link seems to steer towards a product plug. It's a fine line in sharing new products/tech info. to collecting sales and off site product interest for gain. Careful....

Old 11-17-2013, 12:08 PM

@ Hayapower:

Thanks for the heads-up. I'm not trying to plug a particular product as we don't even offer spray tint or paint, I just am interested in sparking discussion about tinting in your lights in general. I apologize if it came off as promotional as that wasn't my intent.

I also wanted to see if anyone had any other techniques for tinting heads and tails such as Plasti-dipping or even using hydrographics (I don't even know if these are possible).

@Rusty Baker

If you black them out I imagine it would be. The problem is that there is no federal standard. Also since there are som many different shades of film you can get away with it if you don't go too dark.

Old 11-17-2013, 09:05 PM

There may not be a federal standard, but I don't think that tinted lights would pass inspection here in Missouri. Most states have a distance standard on lights. They must maintain a certain brightness from a specific distance. Missouri is even very strict on tinted windows.

Old 11-18-2013, 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by Rusty Baker
There may not be a federal standard, but I don't think that tinted lights would pass inspection here in Missouri. Most states have a distance standard on lights. They must maintain a certain brightness from a specific distance. Missouri is even very strict on tinted windows.
Most states have a law that states that the tail lights must be visible from 500 feet and that the headlights must remain unobscured. This is why we only recommend our tints for show use. Another thing people can try are the static cling tints. No adhesives mean they can be applied and removed later. Also, there are those GT Headlight Covers which are made from plastic I believe and can be snapped on. I assume they can be removed just as easily although I have never seen them up close.