Concept & Rumor Mill Heard you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in.

6CYL IN SUPERDUTY????

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 09:39 AM
Default 6CYL IN SUPERDUTY????

Yes I'm new to the site and looking for answers?Ive heard rumors, Has anyone heard of the superduty going to have a I-6 cyl engine,say made by CAT or anyone else.Anytime soon? Have my reasons and want ONE !!!

Old 05-11-2005, 01:45 AM
Default RE: 6CYL IN SUPERDUTY????

they have been tosing this idea around forever. I hope they do, but I would not expect it.

Old 05-24-2005, 11:14 PM

I HEARD THAT FORD OWNED CUMMINS, AND AFTER A FEW MORE YEARS DODGE WOULD HAVE TO FIND ANOTHER MOTOR FOR THEIR TRUCKS. BUT I DON'T KNOW HOW TRUE THAT RUMOR IS.
ANYONE HEARD THE SAME?

Old 05-29-2005, 01:19 AM

It is true. Ford bought Cummins after Dodge started putting the 5.9L in their trucks. Because Dodge and Cummins had a contract, Ford could not cut off the supply and put the Cummins in the superduty. That ment that Ford had to go to International to get their diesel. kind of ironic when you think about it. none of the big three desined or build their diesel. Cummins makes Dodge, international makes Ford, and Isizu makes Chevy. haven't heard anything about dodge changing diesels. When Cummins came up for sale Dodge would have been wise to buy it.

Old 06-10-2005, 01:19 AM

"haven't heard anything about dodge changing diesels"
I've heard rumors that they are gonna see how well a Mercedes diesel will sell in the Rams. I know I'm gonna get killed here sayin this, but I'm a Dodge guy (I come here to find help with friends cars), and, if Dodge (well, I should say, if Mercedes ever forced Dodge to) ever got rid of the Cummins... well... thats stupid, Dodge dropping the best diesel out there.
But yes, there are rumors out there, and I just hope it ain't true.

Old 06-10-2005, 06:35 PM

Found out a few days ago that I was wrong, Ford does not own Cummins. Don't remember where I heard that, but it is not true. as for dodge changing, the long term contract with dodge and cummins ends in 2007- know that is true, published on the cummins websight. Not sure on this, but I have heard that ford is trying to get cummins engines next- and willing to spend a lot of money to do so. if that happens, then the logical step would be for dodge to use Mercedes diesels, considering that they are both under the same basic company. it would be like the Isizu-Chevy diesel. what it would mean is that the ford would go on to win even more towing reviews with the better engine than they already do.

Old 06-10-2005, 10:29 PM

business wise, it would make sense for Dodge to use the Mercedes diesel, but logically, it wouldnt. Mercedes I have heard, is having a lot of problems with it's diesels. Besides, the Cummins has been in the Ram for what, close to 20 years without any problems, no big changes (unlike Ford and Chevys)... Dodge would be exhanging a time-tested diesel for a POS for what? Company politics.

Old 06-11-2005, 05:11 AM

My guess is that it is not the dodge side of the contract that would be looking to find someone new to pair up with. If dodge is looking to find new diesels, it probably means that cummins has signed a contract with someone else, and dodge lost their chance. dodge benifited greatly off of that contract, and I think that if it was possable, the supply of cummins would never stop flowing to dodge. if Mercedes wants to throw their engine in to compeat with the big boys- Izizu, Cummins, International, their engines would have to be top notch, so I bet that they would put a lot of energy into making sure that quality was good.

Old 06-11-2005, 09:11 PM

"so I bet that they would put a lot of energy into making sure that quality was good. " well, thats the problem.. we actually expect something out of an automotive company.
You would also have thought (well, maybe not... we both seem to hate Chevys) that after GM promised it was working on quality (2002-2003??) that it would, in fact, focus on quality.. but, clearly they didnt. (and now 25,000 working Americans are paying the price.)

Old 06-12-2005, 04:56 PM

what I am saying is that there are other good engines out there (cummins, powerstroke, and as much as I hate chevy, duramax) that if the Mercedes engines are junk, then people will go elsewhere. dodge pretty much held their portion of the market in diesel rigs just because of the exelent engine, and if they do not improve in other places or manage to get ahold of another desireable engine, they will lose sales.

Quick Reply: 6CYL IN SUPERDUTY????