Engine & Internal Lounge Chat about beefing up your insides here.

Need help Identifying a motor with the casting numbers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 11:19 AM
Default Need help Identifying a motor with the casting numbers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi All I could sure use some help here I purschased what I believe to be a 351 Windsor and have been trying to identify it as such with the casting numbers but I have had no luck. If someone could help me out I would greatly apprecate it I need to know what year this motor is if it is a 351 Windsor as I expect and if you can tell me if it is a truck or a car motor and what horsepower it left the factory as. It has a stock four barrell manifold on it. The casting numbers on my motor are E3AE-6015-BA 17 I also would appreciate any information on where you acquired your information so I would be able to find it myself in the future. Yhank you for your help in advance. I do greatly appreciate it. Gary

Old 12-12-2006, 05:37 PM
Default RE: Need help Identifying a motor with the casting numbers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

E3AE =E is for the decade it was made E IS 80'S
D is 70's
Cis 60's

3 is for the year
A is for Full size car
E is for engine part

So your 351 came from a 1983 Full size car!
Hope this heips and the info came from a book titled "HOW-TO REBUILD SMALL BLOCK FORD ENGINES" by HPBooks

Old 03-29-2007, 04:38 PM
Default RE: Need help Identifying a motor with the casting numbers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes. It's definitely '83 , but I'm wondering now - what casting number actually identifies the block size? "BA" being the change level might indicate that if you have a chart for it. I could give you a basic ID with a picture or two. They usually do cast the engine size on the cylinder head under the valve cover area, but I'm in a limbo without a full production list. The "A" in the code means Full Size car - but they came with different motors. The 6015 is a block code and may also indicate which block - but again I need a full list to know. I have the base list for most parts. Someone should write a book just on these codes.