Engine & Internal Lounge Chat about beefing up your insides here.

Triton V10 info...anyone!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 08:38 AM
Default Triton V10 info...anyone!

Hi all,

The short version (long is in the welcome area) I am considering buying an American V10 Triton engine to ship to Oz for a not so normal home. I have found a seller on eBay, (store) that has the two versions (2V and 3V), I am more interested in the 3V.

I know a bit about this engine, but would really apreciate comment from owners on the engine. My intentions are a little differant from the norm, the V10 is not used here and I am looking for something to really drop jaws at shows, and I think a V10 would do that nicely.

I am currently running a 351 Cleveland, which from the sketchy dimensions I have found is bigger than the V10 physically, so it should fit inside the bay. (Mine is as big as an older Mustang of the same era)

The seller is offering a complete engine, harness, ECU and ancillaries which should get me mounted up.

My questions to the masses;

Are there any inheriant problems I need to be looking for?
Is there a sports automatic transmission available?
Will a Cleveland pattern C4 tranmission meet up with the V 10?
What power upgrades are there available (I did find the Kenne Bell fits nicely up there!)
Are there any pitfalls I should be wary of?
Can someone please confirm the weight and LxWxH ( I have 27 1/2 x ? x 28 1/2)

Are there "crate" type sellers of new or near new engines, as I can only find generators and eBay items.

Anyone that can help or offer something would be appreciated, I know these live in Excursions and F-350's, but I want to dare to be differant!

Old 06-04-2008, 11:27 PM
Default RE: Triton V10 info...anyone!

Anyone know anything about these?

Old 09-12-2008, 10:02 AM

Hey FMC351,

I've got one(an '02 2V) and dummied it up in my XG panel van.
Firstly let me tell you that it is NOT smaller than a cleveland. It is a doable conversion but there will be issues with shock tower clearance(only 10mm is left from each rocker cover but a 3V may actually be worse), exhaust manifolds(3V manifolds are worse) hit the shock towers and steering box but of course custom headers will fix that. Stock t-body/elbow will not fit under bonnet but there are ways around that too. Heater pipe clearance is non-existant. Need to make a front sump pan which is easy....just section the pan and turn it around and make your own pickup. Even though modulars have a different bellhousing pattern five of the bolt pattern positions are identical to smallblock which means a conversion to use a smallblock bell equipped trans is a possibility with the main difficulty being starter positioning. You wouldn't use an E or F-series trans because E4OD/4R100/5R100 are all physically too large to fit in a Falcon.
A 4R70W would be the trans to use but you'll need a stand alone controller from the likes of Baumann Engineering to operate it as the V10 PCM only suits the truck trans which has an incompatible trans strategy with the 4R70W.
At the end of the day I would go for the 3V engine.

I'll post photo's up when I work out how

Pete.

Old 09-12-2008, 10:09 AM

Well that didn't work.

Old 09-12-2008, 10:15 AM

Name:  DSC02627.jpg
Views: 5128
Size:  74.7 KB
The oil filler neck needs shortening and the stock t-stat housing won't fit under bonnet but you can just trim all that off the intake and adapt a water crossover and housing off a 5.4 DOHC falcon engine.

Name:  DSC02622.jpg
Views: 2665
Size:  75.4 KB

Here's the 10mm clearance I was referring to.

Name:  DSC02618.jpg
Views: 8324
Size:  76.5 KB

The engine is wide and tall but quite short and weighs around 620lbs(bout 100lb less than a 460)

Old 09-12-2008, 10:30 AM

Name:  DSC02625.jpg
Views: 2067
Size:  67.6 KB

Of course your XC will have better clearance to the heater pipes.

Name:  DSC02623.jpg
Views: 1908
Size:  52.4 KB

And you should have a smaller diameter dual diaphragm booster here too.

Old 09-12-2008, 10:34 AM

Name:  DSC02615.jpg
Views: 1779
Size:  64.6 KB

Name:  DSC02611.jpg
Views: 1783
Size:  63.6 KB

I just reversed the sump for the dummy-up....looks like it's made for it.

Old 09-30-2008, 11:38 PM

Ah, sorry about the long reply mate but I thought I was out of luck getting sme info here.

Your pics and info is fantastic, and so far the best help I have recieved. So many questions for you!!!!

I have a late 2007 3V complete engine minus starter and ECM coming, everything else is on it. As for trans, I did buy a ZF 6 speed, which I really wanted to work, but as more info came in I was going to need the reserve bank profits to afford the development. Instead I have been talked into a full hydraulic box and aftermarket ECU to handle the engine and boost control. (Yes, I am in the plannig stage of a mild TT set up) The choice of trans is down to a C6 or C4, C4 becasue I have a great box already there, but C6 becasue it is a stronger box, either way the bellhousing will be my next hurdle.

As for clearance, since my first post I have got the specs, and yeah, damn it's wide! I should not have any other problems tho, I have oderd a 3/4 chassis clip and 4 link from McDonald bros and am preping the front for their tubular coil over set up, so there will be no shock towers to clear.

Engineer just laughed, so I guess it will be a dedicated track and show car, bit of a bummer but I want what I want!

So, the questions.
[ul][*]How did the sump swap go, will it bolt up easily or will it take some modifications?[*]What trans plan are you running?[*]Are you thinking forced induction?[*]What re-build plans/efforts are out there, once mine is working I plan on getting another one and building it for power.[*]Are the exhaust manifolds reversable? I would like to swing the opening out the front for the turbos.[/ul]
For your info too, Rod Herrod and Jay Upton built one in the late 90's, shoe horned it into a mustang, with a charger, no inter cooler and 5psi they made 800RWHP, but everything was thrown at it, reports were a complete 200K build, but it can be done.

Sketchy word is that dry sleeves and another crank allows the balance shaft to be deleted and the revs to go up to 6000+
For this engine it's just to sort out the wrinkles, find what works and whats not, plan is to run some baby turbo's on low boost.

Thanks for the info, would love to be able to see it and crawl over it. I heard on Oz Ford Forums there was a mocked pano with one in it.........must be yours mate because there are not many around!

Old 10-01-2008, 01:01 AM

Mentioned Mustange.

Old 02-18-2009, 01:22 AM

Hey Guys,

Quite an interesting thread here. Also quite funny that FMC351 is asking for answers on an US site only to get answers from an Aussie in Australia. Gold! I too was thinking of going down the road of V10 power but you two are obviously way ahead with your projects ( i only just started planning and finding rough costs). I am especially interested on FIXR7's project as my vehicle I was going to use was my XG Falcon Ute. I initially thought that the V10 would not fit at all in the engine bay so I was planning to actually mount it in the tray. I was going to use a porche G50 Transaxle (like the ones used in the DRB GT40 kit cars) on a fabricated framwork to house the engine, rear suspension etc, RRS front suspension and steering units. and since all the mumbo will be out the back, I'll be able to remove the transmission tunnel somewhat so I can have my fueltank positioned a little lower so a Firewall could be fabricated between it and the engine. Hopefully with this configuration most of the weight will be in the middle of the vehicle. I suppose if I follow the Australian Design rules and look at all the legalities, I may be able to get it registered as an ICV in Qld. The only problem is getting it insured I suppose. So in short, my design brief is this, Build a mid mounted V10 ute that is road registered and daily-ish driven.

Keep me posted on how you are going with yours. After I do my sums, I'll tell you how I go if I can actually afford to undertake this one. I will try my best though.

Cheers!