Fairlane/Falcon/Galaxie/Gran Torino There 1960s classics have not been forgetten, whether it is on the dragstrip or at any car show, they are still all well represented.

1959 Galaxie

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2004, 06:19 PM
Default 1959 Galaxie

My dad always talks about his first new car. He says that it was a 1959 Galaxie. He would like a model/diecast of it. The problem is: every 1959 Galaxie that I find on the web either says Fairlane or Galaxie on the fins. His did not say that. What it had was 4 chrome birds per side. Their location was a little below where the other cars say Fairlane or Galaxie. He insists that it was a 1959 Galaxie. It is currently setting in a field. All that I can make of the cars data tag is something that does not make sense to me. It looks like the Model was "58E" and the Make was "GE2????". There are more letters/numbers behind the GE2 (if that is actually what it says) but I can not read them. Any idea what it was? Was it actually a 1959 Galaxie?

Old 04-25-2004, 02:23 AM
Default RE: 1959 Galaxie

The model you noted, 58E, is the Custom 300 Fordor Sedan. Ford had three basic trim levels for the passenger car in 1959, but they were also used for the Rancheros, Skyliners, Sunliners, and Wagons to some degree. The Custom 300 was the base with most recognizably, the distintive four chrome birds on the rear quarter, minimal chrome trim, and the thin "C" pillar with wraparound rear window. The Fairlane (500) was in the middle with the same thin "C" pillar and wraparound rear window, but replaced the chrome birds with a "Fairlane" script on the rear fins, as well as a trunk emblem with the "Fairlane" script, which the trunk lock was disquised into the first "0" in the 500 below the emblem. Also added was a thicker swoop of stainless trim down the front fender and onto the doors. The Galaxie was a late model year addition, and was the top of the line made to resemble the then, second year "Square-bird" Thunderbirds. The Galaxie had Thunderbird "gun-sight" emblems on the front fenders replacing the usual gold ball emblems, and most notably, had a very long "C" pillar with a chrome washboard along the bottom of the pillar, and a Thunderbird inspired emblem higher up on the pillar. This style of roof also changed to a flat recessed rear window, all a direct "nod" to the Thunderbird. The rear fins where changed to a "Galaxie" emblem instead of "Fairlane". Due to the cost of re-tooling and the lack of time left in the model year, Ford left the "Fairlane" script and "500" trunk lock on all first-year Galaxies, because it just wasn't worth it to change. Just for fun, if you see any 1959 Skyliners with a "Fairlane" on the rear fins rather than, "Galaxie", it's an early model year, and VERY rare since most were "Galaxies"! There are some promo models on ebay, but they're usually pricey. Good luck with your car model search.

Old 04-26-2004, 02:25 PM

Thanks! I think you hit the nail on the head. I dug some pictures up on the web of it and it looks just like my dad's old car. I am going to show him the pictures next time I see him and see what he thinks. I appreciate your help. I have looked in books and on the web about cars of the 1950's and I never saw anything referring to the Custom 300.

Now, I am assuming (from what you have told me) that the Custom 300 was something like a red-headed step child to the Fairlane/Galaxie. Meaning, it was not like an F-150 XLT and an F-150 Lariat which are both the same vehicle just different interior packages. It seems like the Custom 300 and the Fairlanes/Galaxies were considered to be completely different cars. So, if I was to get a model of a Fairlane or Galaxie for my dad it would not be the same thing as a Custom 300. It would be like getting him pumkin pie when he wanted apple?

Once again, thanks for your help!

Old 12-15-2004, 03:33 AM

Is this what he owns?

Sweet car...you should restore it or do a custom job on it.

http://www.dealsonwheels.com/search/...-200310-000025

Old 11-28-2006, 07:14 PM

I wish I could afford to restore it. I has not been driven in about 40 years and has been setting outside the entire time. Someday when I have more money than I know what to do with!