Fairlane/Falcon/Galaxie/Gran Torino There 1960s classics have not been forgetten, whether it is on the dragstrip or at any car show, they are still all well represented.

1969 Rio Grande Ranchero

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 11:29 AM
Default I think I have a ranchero rio grande!???

I am new to these forums and would like to get some advice....

I stumbled upon an old add about the rio grande rancheros and it looks like mine. I was not aware of this model until now and am very interested in finding out if my car is one of the few made. I always thought my car was odd because it was not a GT with a "C" stripe but was a sportier type of Ranchero. I always found it strange that there was no color code on the door plate. We have had this car in my family for years, I even took my drivers test in it! It was my dad's car and was sold at his death by older family members. I later recovered it and bought it back. I'm sure my dad knew all about the car but never told me anything. He was a car collector himself as I have become one as well. I would very much like to know more about my unique ranchero.

Here is the info on the door plate:

Body: 66B
Color: left blank
Trim: HA
Date: 27F
DSO # 612562
Axle: 6
Trans: U

Serial #: 9A48S284483
SPECIAL PERFORMANCE VEHICLE is also on the door plate

if anyone can help me out with any information about this I would really appreciate it.
Thank you....Sherlon in Texas

Old 09-28-2010, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by bobpjafe
I currently own a 1969 Ford Ranchero Rio Grand in original condition with 48,000 actual miles. It has a bench seat and an automatic trans with a 351 Cleveland engine. It's the Poppy Red with the original wheels. I've been told by more than one "expert" that they all came with Windsor blocks but this one is definitely a Cleveland
I must offer a correction to my above statement. The engine is in fact a 351 windsor. All fairlane models, which this Rio Grande is, were built with only windsor blocks. The Gt's had the Cleveland block. According to Ford only about 400 were built and less than 250 were Poppy Red as mine is.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:06 PM

A couple of enthusiasts have discovered that they have the rare Rio Grande Ranchero. As I mentioned in my first reply these are super rare. Ford doesn't even know how many were built. Somewhere between 600 and 1000 were produced. All will have "Special Performace Vehicle" on the data tag mounted on the drivers door. Most came with the 351W engine, but were available with any engine option except the 6cyl. Late in the model year Ford deviated from the original theme and produced some on the 66A body, base Ranchero. No 2 vehicles seemed to be totally alike.

Old 10-23-2010, 03:17 AM
Default Rio Grande Ranchero

Originally Posted by Danchero69
Well, I remembered my dad replacing the door, but he didn't.
And sure enough, the door id tag doesn't match the vin# under the windshield.

The door looks as if it came from a Torino fastback hardtop.

I tracked down the vin info from the true vin# 9A47FXXXXXX.

Mine came standard with the 302, and it is the Rio Grande, based on the wheel insert, but too bad I can't see the rest of the info from the original id tag.
It's too bad that your Father didn't remove the data plate from the old door. It would have "Scecial Performance Vehicle" on the data plate. As I mentioned on a previous responce, any engine except the 6cyl was available, and one of those may be found some day. I'm pretty sure yours is the genuine article, but a correct data plate would have been a key piece of evidence.

Old 08-31-2011, 07:50 PM
Red face 1969 Ford Ranchero Rio Grande -1 of only 900 Made!

We currently have a 1969 Ford Ranchero Rio Grande in stock and I have done a lot of research on it. It also has a Marti Report, the original window sticker and we have received info that there were less than 900 made (somewhere in the neighborhood of 866). Somebody once asked us to prove it was a Rio Grande. Apparently, they were an authority which we do not claim to be. But, they stated if it truly was a Rio Grande, on the door tag the color would be blank. So, I took a picture of the door tag--I hope he wasn't taking any bets because he lost--ours was blank. It is true however, that it was repainted, the rails were removed, a tonneau cover was put on, the bed has a sprayed in bedliner, and they did not repaint the hood part black either, but it is still a Rio Grande. If anybody has any other statistics other than what we have been able to find, it would be appreciated. Thanks, Jo