Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners

Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/)
-   Fairlane/Falcon/Galaxie/Gran Torino (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/fairlane-falcon-galaxie-gran-torino-35/)
-   -   is a 65 or 66 galaxie 500 better then a 52 customline? (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/fairlane-falcon-galaxie-gran-torino-35/65-66-galaxie-500-better-then-52-customline-31374/)

GamerGirlAlice 02-21-2014 08:22 AM

well i agree that the galaxy looks 100 times better. but the convertibles are hard to find where i am. i do know of a nice 4 door galaxie but it has a ugly ivory green paint, cheep looking seats and a small 289 v8. im hoping against hope the galaxie convertible dose not sell so i can buy it.

Alice

grindman 02-21-2014 01:27 PM

the rag top galaxie is worth way more than the four doors and the 289 engine wasn't a bad motor just a wee bit under powered meaning that it took more gas to get up to speed and going up a hill the car would slow down more than usual as far as the four door goes paint would make the car more attractive and one could always have the seats recovered. it is really up to the person buying a car and spending the money to get what they want and the way they want it to look. I know you would rather have a Galaxie but from the pictures you posted the LTD looks like it would be the better buy simply because you wouldn't have to spend so money on it to get it going and it already has the disc brakes on the front

GamerGirlAlice 02-21-2014 05:57 PM

well the 2 convertibles i was interested in sold :( im looking at something that might bring down the wrath of the ford gods now. im so disappointed im thinking maybe a 2006 or newer Mazda MX-5/Miata.

bluewind 02-21-2014 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by GamerGirlAlice (Post 87204)
well the 2 convertibles i was interested in sold :( im looking at something that might bring down the wrath of the ford gods now. im so disappointed im thinking maybe a 2006 or newer Mazda MX-5/Miata.

Frankly, my dear, that's a bad idea. Don't get me wrong the Miatas and Mazda in general are darling cars. But hanging a 375 lbs powered wheel chair off the back of the miata is not going to work well. It is too light a car for that job and the wheel base is very short. I bet this is causing serious handling problems in form of sudden over steer.

If you go modern you should look into SUV or light truck.
If you must have a modern car consider a Ford Crown Victoria/ Mercury Grand Marquis. Why? because these "modern" cars are actually old fashioned. The engines, transmissions and accessories are modern. But the chassis is old school. It's the best of both worlds. But not everyone likes the styling or the way they drive.
Chevy Caprice / Buick Roadmaster are similar.

grindman 02-22-2014 09:36 AM

I too believe that if you have to have modern car you would be better off in the long run to get either an suv or full size car they do make for a nice ride and drive better with a load on the rear. another option you could always buy a E-150 and convert it over so that you could load your power chair inside the cabin. and make the transition from it to the drivers seat with ease

GamerGirlAlice 02-22-2014 05:16 PM

lol if i got a small car thers a local shop that make small wheelchair trailers i was thinking of getting. designed for motorcycles n small cars to pull

grindman 02-22-2014 05:24 PM

that's still too much hassle one usually has trouble trying to back up trailers always jack knifing and such. if you're really set on getting the Galaxie get that one instead you can always have it paited the way you want it and have the seats redone

bluewind 02-22-2014 06:17 PM

Also: small modern cars are designed to very narrow specs. If you want to hang a trailer behind it you must make sure that the cooling system for both the engine and the transmission is capable to handle the situation. You are not only adding weight, you are also adding a lot of wind resistance.
The cars I suggested are designed to handle quite a load of people and their luggage. They will be able to handle the weight of the wheel chair. The same for the Galaxie. So keep looking for Dearborn and Detroit iron. That includes the F150 as grindman suggested as much as the F150 based Explorer or a Jeep Cherokee.

tempforce 03-01-2014 07:29 AM

interesting post. i had some comments on the older cars, i won't mention them as they were sold. sorry the deals fell through.
as for the miata, don't..... i used to have one. high winds, or truck passing. they catch the air.... the cars are very tail happy... especially on corners... it's a tight fit for two full sized people. you can't hang a standard chair on the back, pulling a power chair on a trailer won't work... the frame can't handle even a small trailer...
i'm currently driving a ford fusion. and i'm happy with it, with a minor complaint. it's a bit low to the ground getting in and out...
a suv or crossover would be more practical considering getting in and out and pulling a small trailer or mounting a chair on the back... have a air suspension system added on the back so the vehicle will remain level and you can dump the air to lower the back for easy access to your chair...
personally, i'm working on a old 56 f100, with a possibility of ending up not being mobile in the future, due to an injury that with or without surgery may leave me in a chair... with a truck, a electric crane may be used to load a chair into the back... most of the newer trucks are too high for easy access in and out...
good luck finding something that will work and keep you driving in style.
cc

ps: don't waste your money at the cheap paint shops, the paint won't last.... i found out the hard way....

bluewind 03-01-2014 08:20 AM

'56' f100, powered with a 32 valve, 4.6-v8 from a '98' mark VIII, crown vic front suspension, mark 8/cobra rear ** :D

Hmmmm. They don't build it like that anymore!
Heck, I believe they never built it like that!

Pictures, please!