Fairlane/Falcon/Galaxie/Gran Torino There 1960s classics have not been forgetten, whether it is on the dragstrip or at any car show, they are still all well represented.

is a 65 or 66 galaxie 500 better then a 52 customline?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 10:17 PM
Default is a 65 or 66 galaxie 500 better then a 52 customline?

im trying to figure out if im in to much aww over a 65 galaxie convertible for $6,750 with a 352ci, auto, and a/c. or if i should consider a 66 galixe 500 4dr sedan for $6,500 with a 289ci, auto, and ac. and a 3rd choice i found is a 52 customline 4dr sedan for $4,500 with a i-6, auto.

Old 02-16-2014, 09:46 AM

Define "better", Alice.

What is better: pork bar-b-Que or T-bone steak?
It depends who you ask. In this case: don't ask the cardiologist.

Once you define "better" in this context you will know what you want.
Criteria could be: style (how do I look in this car?), appreciation potential (how much will it be worth so many years from now?), dependability (is it going to be my daily driver?), performance (am I going to race it?), emotional connection (does it give me the good vibes?), and anything else you can think off.

Last edited by bluewind; 02-16-2014 at 09:52 AM.
Old 02-16-2014, 01:54 PM

is it a beter value for a girl to haul a wheelchair and have a nice classic daily driver?

Old 02-16-2014, 04:37 PM

"Daily Driver" is the defining term.

I tend to be the practical guy (boring, I know). That would lead me to have a real close look at the Sedan.

Putting myself into your shoes I would want to know how hard it will be to put the wheelchair in the trunk or the back seat. I also would want to know if getting in and out of the car is easy enough. The sedan's doors are probably shorter than the convertible's. When you check out the convertible try opening and closing the top. Tops don't last forever, so you ought to figure in a replacement.

I would likely stay away from the '52 because the suspension and brakes would not be up to the task in today's traffic. Everyone is driving faster and expects others to drive accordingly. Drum brakes and handling could make you feel uncomfortable (unsafe?) at times. Besides, in Oklahoma you need A/C.

I don't now enough about the engines. In any case they were designed for leaded gasoline and may or may not have been updated to run on unleaded. Avoid ethanol blends with any of these. The sedan has the smaller V8 and may be less heavy than the convertible. It could be the one with better fuel economy.

I think Alice is going for a test drive soon......
Before you buy have it inspected by an old school mechanic! That fee will be well spent.

Last edited by bluewind; 02-16-2014 at 04:56 PM.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:59 PM

im wanting a convertible but being 5'11" tall i need a big car. i test drove a 72 ford ltd convertible no problem. door size isn't a problem. im wanting a heavy duty car that i can put class iii hitch to attach my 375# power wheelchair and not sag. i chose car over truck because my mom s 5'2" tall so needs to be low. also i have always wanted a convertible.

i hope that helps for weather it be a good car for me or not and thanks for advice on 52 customline.

Alice

Old 02-16-2014, 10:29 PM

O.K. Now I understand even better.

Go for the convertible. BUT DON'T LET YOUR SENTIMENT GET THE BETTER PART OF YOU!!! With a car this old you must have it checked over by a mechanic so you know it's condition and so you know what will come up in bills.

In addition I think you will need a little custom work done on the convertible. That is because you want to weigh down the back with almost 400lbs. Since this weight is so far back from the axle it will have the effect of about 800 to 1000lbs (just a guess) on the springs. The good thing is that these old cars have simple axles and you can get stronger springs installed. That way the car can maintain it's ride height better. Increasing tire pressure is also necessary.

Beyond that I would also be interested in a track bar and better quality shock absorbers. Still with that weight back there the handling will be iffy around corners.

I hope some more experienced guys will comment, either to correct or confirm my suggestions.

Last edited by bluewind; 02-16-2014 at 10:32 PM.
Old 02-17-2014, 12:35 AM

was thinking of heating some adjustable on board air supply shocks. id love some air springs that fit in the stock springs to help too. but don't know if they exist for a galaxie.

would that set of helper air shocks with on board air supply be enough to help carry the chair?

Thanks in Advance, Alice

Old 02-17-2014, 09:34 AM

Probably so. These air helper shocks are designed for trailer tongue weight in mind. That is pretty much the same thing that you want to do.

Something to read:Ford Galaxie Reviews - Carsurvey.org

I found out that these may have drums all around. Meanwhile there are ways to upgrade the front brakes to disks: Galaxie Disc Brakes | eBay

Old 02-17-2014, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by bluewind
=I found out that these may have drums all around. Meanwhile there are ways to upgrade the front brakes to disks: Galaxie Disc Brakes | eBay
i know the 65 galaxie is power drums all around. i figure if 40k 18 wheelers use drums all around its fine for a 4k galaxie. and down the road id like to do a willwood 4 13" 6 piston front and 2 piston rear disk brake setup. im trying to decied if the disk brakes be a beter investment then painting it after buyng the car. or ther is a kit i can buy from a site for galaxie parts.

Front Disc Brake Conversion Kit, 4 Piston Calipers, Galaxie, 1960-1966 - Ford Parts
Rear Disc Brake Conversion Kit, Single Piston Calipers, Galaxie, 1960-1972 - Ford Parts
Proportioning Valve,ssbc,adjustable,brake Light Switch,polished - Ford Parts

Old 02-17-2014, 01:01 PM

id like to do a willwood 4 13" 6 piston front and 2 piston rear disk brake setup.

.....for those track days and autocross?

Quick Reply: is a 65 or 66 galaxie 500 better then a 52 customline?