Fairlane/Falcon/Galaxie/Gran Torino There 1960s classics have not been forgetten, whether it is on the dragstrip or at any car show, they are still all well represented.

Drum brake to disk brake conversion

Old 05-18-2019, 11:54 AM
Default Drum brake to disk brake conversion

Hello all, I recently got my 62 Falcon running again, and I am thinking about swapping out the drum brakes for disk. To reduce cost, I am planning to swap the front brakes first then do the rear at a later time. Question for the group is about the procedure, which of you have done a drum-disk swap before and can give some insight in regards to required tools, grease, etc. Thanks all!

Old 06-01-2019, 10:24 AM
Default brake swap

converted my 64 ranchero a year ago, went with the SSBC conversion kit. Basic one piston calipers, all i needed. They are great!!! The front conversion went as smooth as a model car kit assembly. Back kit was only slightly more difficult because of the parking brake and fender clearance.

Old 07-31-2019, 08:15 AM

I'd check out the 65 - 67 Mustang guys... the Falcon and Mustang used the same front spindles...
I don't think you need rear discs, unless you got one monster motor...
Do you have power brakes now?
No stepping on Chaz, I'm not familiar with SSBC...
I've done a disc conversion on my 62 Ford wagon using the spindle from a 77 Ranchero, which was a LTD II
and a few other models, only needed to machine the tie rod end mounting hole.

I've done a Front disc conversion on my 56 Packard, using a Ford F150 front king Pin setup..

Do more research... don't forget the 2 bowl master.... on my 62 I used one from a crown vic junk yard...
which means you would need to do some plumbing.
Best

Old 03-23-2020, 11:08 PM
gta

The SSBC kit is a real good kit. Easy to install. I do beleave you will need to upgrade you mastercylinder.Have the SSBC on my car and they work great.Roger

Old 03-02-2021, 11:36 AM

I converted my 1968 Falcon to disc recently. It was pretty straight forward and easy. Really the hardest part was getting those old nasty drums off. I even made a video.

Last edited by mainsoda; 03-02-2021 at 01:20 PM.
Old 04-20-2021, 12:01 PM

My first post on this site. I have a 57 Fairlane 500. It originally had power drum brakes. Back in the early 1990s I installed front disc brakes from a mid 1960s Ford Galaxy. I did this through an auto parts store in the San Bernardino, ca area. I also installed a dual chamber master cylinder from (I guess) the same year Galaxy but not sure there. It stops great with disc in the front and oem drums in the rear. The only minor problem has been the low brake peddle. With OEM power brakes the peddle was designed to be low. Now with manual brakes the low peddle sometimes feels like it wants to hit the floor on HARD stops (which I try never to do). I'm entertaining the idea of splicing a section into the push rod to bring the peddle up a couple inches. Any ideas on this, like a longer push rod or ?????
On another note the hard top model (63A) has "flipper" doors just above the top of the door glass. On the driver's side the two springs have broken and I have to hold up the "flipper" to get the door to close correctly. I'm looking at a company who will custom build springs, but since I only really need four of them (two for each door) I don't know if it would be cost effective. The two on the passenger side are still functional but who knows when they'll break. Anyone know of a company besides Concourse Parts (who deals in Ford parts) that would stock the springs?

One last thing who or what is "SSBC"?

Old 04-20-2021, 09:42 PM
gta

I have done several disc swaps over the years. All of them are about the same,but some have a little more assembly. Wilwood you have to bolt the rotor to the hub and safety wire it..The SSbrakes work fine and stop my Falcon in a big hurry.I had Wilwood disc front and back with Hawke ceramic pads on my FFR Cobra.. The stopping power on it was at a much higher level . Didn't need that for the Falcon.For the street and occasional drag strip use the SSBrakes are fine,with the upgrade of rear disc they are great.