Fairlane/Falcon/Galaxie/Gran Torino There 1960s classics have not been forgetten, whether it is on the dragstrip or at any car show, they are still all well represented.

front end swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 01:57 PM
Default front end swap

I just purchased a 65 Ranchero w/289, front power disc's and power steering, that has a bent frame. I'd like to put the 65 engine and front end in my 61 Ranchero w/200-6.
Has anyone out there done such an exchange, and if so what kind of issues can I expect? I've heard it's a bolt in exchange, but from passed experience, usually there are some hidden glitches.
Any input would be appreciated...Thanks SoCalSmith

Old 07-31-2019, 08:44 AM

your 62 Ranchero is a Falcon, which has no frame... as such
65 was built on the Fairlane frame... why not have the frame straightened ?
btw I'm in Torrance..

an engine swap is not big deal, the V8 will fit, need motor mounts... what about the trans?
I'd swap it out for a Ford AOD...
Best

Old 08-01-2019, 11:35 PM
Default 65 tp 61 Falcon front end swap

Quick answer to your query. Having the right frame stub straightened on the 65 was estimated (site unseen) at minimum to be $3000 up, which I thought was exorbitant. The 65 Ranchero is in good shape and has straight sheet metal, but making that kind of an investment, plus restoration costs would total out to an investment far more than I'm prepared to pay. Especially since I have a very good 61 Ranchero that's setup for a v8 with a beefed C4 and 8" that's currently a good driver and will become a great driver once updated.

If you know of someone interested in the 65 Ranchero less motor, with 6 cyl, 4 bolt front suspension w/ disc brakes, let me know. I'll sell it for $1500.
Thanks for your query.....H. Smith
************************************************** ************************************************** ********

Old 08-02-2019, 08:29 AM

Well you know what you have. 3k seems high, but what do I know.
Best of luck on your projects

Old 03-23-2020, 11:00 PM
gta

I would shop around for the frame repair. 3 K is high. Also ask how much if you strip off the front end to make it easer.. If you can get the frame repaired CPP makes a great front end kit.You get tube upper and lower control arms and a steel plate that reinforces the front cross member and adds a mounting bracket to mount the lower tube control arm.It removes the lower control arm struts.You all so can go stock springs and shocks or coil overs.I have the complete kit installed with coil overs and Borgson power steering.It drives great.It doesn't wander at all . Feels like your driving a new car.Roger

Old 03-24-2020, 01:45 PM

Thanks Roger... I tossed around your idea a while back, about using the Mustang II type suspension. Several companies have them, The 65 had all new components, where the previous owner tried to fix the problem without straighten the frame. So, I elected to go with putting the new components in the 61.
Well it ain't no "bolt in". The power cylinder bracket needs to be transferred from the 65, mine was bolted and welded in. And don't forget the pitman arm. Getting those off is less than fun. All in all it's not a tremendous effort, but it's not an afternoon job.
Thanks for your input

Old 03-24-2020, 04:13 PM
gta

Your quit right . It's not a real easy job. I 'm not sure about the bracket for the booster. The control arms and the cross member were straight forward . You drill and bolt the frame support in. After you have removed all of the front end parts ,it a straight bolt in.The Mustang II is a bit more involved putting the cross member in. Most guys weld the cross member in.I think I saw a kit that bolts in ,but I'm not sure how well they work out.I am quit happy with the CPP set up.I used the pitman arm for the manual steering on the Borgson steering you all so need the manual rod that goes across from one side to the other.It makes for a tight fit and very little play.Feels close to rack and pinion.

Old 03-25-2020, 04:41 PM

Thanks for the input..... SoCalSmith